Do spreads hold any significance?

mysticangel_001

I have often wondered if the cards HAVE to be laid out in a particular spread or is that mostly for show? I used to lay them out in whatever spread I was doing but anymore I just deal out the number of cards for whichever reading I am doing and then interpret them according to their draw order. This seems to work well for me as the intent is there so the reading shouldn't be affected by whether or not the cards are actually "laid out" in a spread.

Astraea Aurora

Hi mysticangel,

I can totally understand your point of view. The most important thing about a spread is the position in which the cards fall and what the positions mean. So a straight line of an xyz amount of cards is just fine.

For me I have to say: A pattern helps me identify myself with the intent of the spread. If its a spread about my cat, than I find the shape of a cat a lovely order to lay the cards in. If its about a romance why not make it look like a romance spread and give it a heart shape?

There's absolutely no need to give it a shape if you don't want to. I have also seen spreads whose intent I found perfect but the pattern the inventor gave it didn't suit me at all. So I changed them and made them look like something that was a personal symbol to ME.

Don't worry about that. Take what suits you and leave the rest behind (even if it a specific pattern to lay the cards).

Blessings, Astraea Aurora

mysticangel_001

Thanks AA...I mainly stopped doing the actual spreads because with having little ones around they would come and see the cards laid out, see one that grabbed their attention, and they, in turn, would grab the card and completley throw off what I was doing as I'm trying to wrestle them for the card. LOL
I just found that it was easier to deal them out into a stack and then write down each card and it's position then do the interpretation from a piece of paper. My kids would then grab the deck and start looking through the cards. *sigh*

Astraea Aurora

Hi mysticangel,

oh ok. Didn't know you have kids. From that point ... very much understandable. Yep, I think that makes sense. Actually I haven't been in that situation yet. I guess its just fine how you do.

Maybe when they're a bit older they might become interested in Tarot that way ... seeing that mom does something interesting etc ...

Blessings, Astraea Aurora

Fulgour

Yo da lay he hoo (Fore!)

Sometimes, any particular spread is like a yodel...
you direct your sound in a certain direction ~but,
then comes the echo and perhaps a friendly reply.

To use a golf analogy, a spread is like a golf tee,
very helpful, but once you hit the ball~ move on.

mysticangel_001

My 15 y/o is currently spending some time in jail and he was telling me they have a deck of tarot cards in the commissary. He has enough money in his account to buy them and I tried to encourage him to do so and he just rolled his eyes at me. He and I had a Krilian photo done, a few years ago, and he was told that he has a strong propensity toward psychic ability so I thought I would go with that and try to encourage him to direct his energies elsewhere. So far no luck, but I'm not giving up. He was an awesome conductor on the Oiuji board, too, but it freaked him out too much and he refused to do it anymore. My oldest son just thinks I'm weird and my daughter likes the pretty pictures. LOL Now SHE I might be able to get into it.

mysticangel_001

Fulgour said:
Sometimes, any particular spread is like a yodel...
you direct your sound in a certain direction ~but,
then comes the echo and perhaps a friendly reply.

To use a golf analogy, a spread is like a golf tee,
very helpful, but once you hit the ball~ move on.

I like that, thank you.

Baccus93

but, then again

if you are like me and don't use reversals, the proximatey to cards suggests the type of influence with which to read the card. For example, a three of wands sitting next to a 5 of cups suggests that the cards have some alternate meanings within them, or they aren't as powerful. Three of wands sitting next to a 3 of swords on the other hand suggests that I'm happy to be there for the other person's healing, or vice versa, and this might be quite powerful. Does that make sense? I wonder if I am clearly expressing this. I'm sorry, I'm having some odd Mercury issues this week that I probably won't manage until this afternoon.

mysticangel_001

LOL@ odd mercury issues. That was great and yes it did make sense, I have never thought of it in that way but I can see how that would work.