Do Thoth readings reflect "True Will?"

Zephyros

Something that I though about over the weekend is if the Thoth, as a Thelemic deck, gives readings oriented towards finding out one`s "true will." I mean, let's say I draw a card asking if I should eat a chocolate bar (an example). Would the answer I receive reflect that eating or not eating the chocolate would, in a sense, bring me closer to contacting one`s HGA? Are Thoth "right" and "wrong" and "good" or "bad" readings focused, in themselves, toward the deck`s aims?

Always Wondering

This is a good question. It reminds me of experiences I've had with this deck. I did heavy journaling with readings (Thoth only) for a couple years before I even heard of Thelema or understood much about Crowley. When I read those old journals now I'm surprised to see some of the Thelemic concepts take seed. I believe that's how I got to Thelema.

On the other hand it doesn't surprise me at all because I find Thelemic concepts very natural or universal. I don't think I would have gotten there with a RW deck. But one never knows.

I went through a period of time where all I could see was sex in the cards. Sometimes I all I can see is HGA. Somethings all I can see is meditation. These things happen in such cycles that I often know exactly what I am going to see, no matter what I pull. As if the deck saying, "just do it." And it doesn't give up either, at least not until I really get it. :laugh: That is not so fun when I just want to eat chocolate.

I think this is related to Will, for me anyway.
I suppose it depends on the individual. But you might want to have a look at Aeon418's signiture for another thought. :laugh:

AW

Zephyros

Even were the answer to be an unequivocal "yes" it would still be a Tarot deck, subject to my own whims, biases and personal issues. I suppose, were some one to think that it is indeed their HGA speaking to them through the cards, that would be the kind of blind faith Crowley was against (and to those I would indeed point out both Aeon`s signature, and mine!).

And no matter what happens, chocolate will always be more important to me than anything else. I doubt my HGA would be so cruel as to deny me that!

On another note though, what does K&C mean?

ETA: I just remembered Lewis Carrol had an HGA, too!

I have a fairy by my side
Which says I must not sleep,
When once in pain I loudly cried
It said "You must not weep"
If, full of mirth, I smile and grin,
It says "You must not laugh"
When once I wished to drink some gin
It said "You must not quaff".

When once a meal I wished to taste
It said "You must not bite"
When to the wars I went in haste
It said "You must not fight".

"What may I do?" at length I cried,
Tired of the painful task.
The fairy quietly replied,
And said "You must not ask".

Moral: "You mustn't."

Always Wondering

And no matter what happens, chocolate will always be more important to me than anything else. I doubt my HGA would be so cruel as to deny me that!

Liber AL vel Legis 1:41
The word of Sin is Restriction. O man! refuse not thy wife, if she will! O lover, if thou wilt, depart! There is no bond that can unite the divided but love: all else is a curse. Accurséd! Accurséd be it to the aeons! Hell.

Here are some thoughts on it.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=117703

On another note though, what does K&C mean?

DuQuette in Ask Baba Lon p123
Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel is a level of consciousness. The straightest path to the HGA is devotion. If you can fall completely and helplessly in love with God you are there.

I couldn't fall in love with a god that denied me chocolate either. :laugh:

AW

Richard

I think that the Thelemic "Do what thou wilt" has more to do with one's overall direction in life (e.g., one's profession) than with individual decisions about what to eat for breakfast, or whatever. This apparently was Joseph Campbell's understanding of Thelema when he counseled his students: "Follow your bliss." Since, according to Crowley, "Every man and every woman is a star," and each star theoretically has its own position and individual trajectory in the universe at a given time, there should be no conflict between two people who are following their proper trajectory (which is their "true will"). Interesting concept, which may be true, I think. Any good Tarot deck (Thelemic or not) should not conflict with one's "true will."

Always Wondering

Well, I could be wrong, but I thought closrapexa's example of eating a chocolate bar was more about deciding when or where to take pleasure rather than getting a quick bite to eat. The Book of Law is surpisingly literate on food and pleasure.

2:34-44
34.But ye, o my people, rise up & awake!
35.Let the rituals be rightly performed with joy & beauty!
36.There are rituals of the elements and feasts of the times.
37.A feast for the first night of the Prophet and his Bride!
38.A feast for the three days of the writing of the Book of the Law.
39.A feast for Tahuti and the child of the Prophet—secret, O Prophet!
40.A feast for the Supreme Ritual, and a feast for the Equinox of the Gods.
41.A feast for fire and a feast for water; a feast for life and a greater feast for death!
42.A feast every day in your hearts in the joy of my rapture!
43.A feast every night unto Nu, and the pleasure of uttermost delight!
44.Aye! feast! rejoice! there is no dread hereafter. There is the dissolution, and eternal ecstasy in the kisses of Nu.

2:22
I am the Snake that giveth Knowledge & Delight and bright glory, and stir the hearts of men with drunkenness. To worship me take wine and strange drugs whereof I will tell my prophet, & be drunk thereof! They shall not harm ye at all. It is a lie, this folly against self. The exposure of innocence is a lie. Be strong, o man! lust, enjoy all things of sense and rapture: fear not that any God shall deny thee for this.

Here are Crowley's own thoughts on Do what thou Wilt, in Duty.
http://www.scarletwoman.org/docs/docs_duty.html

I like 1 and 2 for starters.
1. Find yourself to be the centre of your own Universe.
“I am the flame that burns in every heart of man, and in the core of every star.” AL II:6

2. Explore the Nature and Powers of your own Being.
This includes everything which is, or can be, for you: and you must accept everything exactly as it is in itself, as one of the factors which go to make up your True Self. This True Self thus ultimately includes all things soever; its discovery is Initiation (the travelling inwards) and as its Nature is to move continually, it must be understood not as static, but as dynamic, not as a Noun but as a Verb.

AW