Dream Cards - LoS/Donelli/Di Giammarino

frac_ture

I just recently ordered this deck, which will basically be my first-ever oracle deck (I say "basically," because I was given one deck as a gift a while back, but it's a Doreen Virtue angel-themed deck which doesn't really resonate with me, so I've never really used it). I've exclusively used Tarot decks for card-based explorations and divination so far, but when I discovered that Luigi Di Giammarino, the artist behind my favorite Tarot deck ever (the Tarot of Metamorphosis), had done the artwork for an oracle deck based on dreams, I felt compelled to finally make the leap into the realm of oracle decks.

This one should arrive here any day now, so I'm not looking to be enabled or dis-enabled -- too late for those! -- but was rather hoping to hear any first-hand impressions from people who have used the deck. I tried searching the boards, but keywords like "dream" and "cards" are way too hopelessly overused here to be of any help within the search function, and using the deck creators' names didn't yield up very much, either (and most of what I did find dated back to around 2005, when the deck was first published). Any more current impressions would be most welcomed...and thanks in advance!

frac_ture

Well, my copy of this deck showed up yesterday, and wow -- it pushes every button that the Tarot of Metamorphosis pushes for me! I'd imagine if you like one, it would be tough not to appreciate the other. I love this guy's artwork, and it certainly feels like it's conveying imagery drawn straight from actual dreams. Thumbs way up on this one as my initial reaction, and a great introduction to the world of oracle decks for me!

DownwardSpiral

I stumbled across this deck awhile ago at Amazon and the pictures drew me in. I love the artwork and though the cards are quite "busy" that's what I liked the most about them. I got the feeling to read with them something in each picture would stand out and grab my attention. Sadly I haven't done anything with these or most of my oracle cards for that matter. I don't really like the idea of just drawing a card a day and past, present, future doesn't really do it either.

I would love to hear if you have read with these or have any ideas as to the best way/spread to use with them : )

frac_ture

Hi, DownwardSpiral -- thanks for dusting off my thread! I'm thrilled to hear that the artwork in these cards appealed to someone else (I thoroughly recommend the Tarot of Metamorphosis, too, if you like the artist's work).

I've actually only used the deck to do a few readings for myself so far -- I've been focusing more on crystals lately, learning Reiki, and studying both runes and astrology (I packed a lunch -- those latter two will take a while...), so I haven't gotten too deep into the deck, but I have it sitting out on my dresser so I remain aware of it. I, too, want to come up with some cool spreads (I'm of a like mind about familiar ones from Tarot work not feeling like they're necessarily the way to go)...I think part of my own problem with that is that I want any spreads I use to be "dream-like" so that they're in keeping with the theme and feel of the deck...but to me, dream-like means kind of vague, surreal, and amorphous, and if you try to come up with a spread that drifts too far into such territory, you're kind of moving away from doing spreads at all -- I see a spread as a more orderly and structured thing. It feels a bit like a paradox or something. So, I'm working away slowly at that.

When I've pulled cards for myself so far, I've just done one-card draws so as to get acquainted with the deck...and I've been finding that for whatever reason, with this deck, it's fairly common for an extra card or two to also pop out when I pull the primary card I'm seeking.

I'm happy you posted, though, as just writing this is getting my wheels spinning with some new ideas about how to maybe go about this in a way that works with what I said above... I think maybe I'll ponder a bit more, and I'll post some more thoughts soon!