Eight of Wands as something you don't want to happen

LilliumStargazer

I recently did a relationship spread for someone, and the eight of wands came up in the position of "What this person doesn't want to happen." Usually I associate this card with really positive things and feelings, communications ect.

But, this confuses me, could this be saying that don't want to communicate with them? Or make rash movements? I've heard that sometimes the eight of wands can symbolize crashing and burning due to a mistake in judgement.

ramin

I got this card twice recently and both times things were changing at such fast pace that it seemed difficult to keep control. So in relationship I would say the person doesn't want relationship to move too quickly and want the relationship to grow at a slower pace. This card also indicates travel/move. So the person doesn't want the move to happen right now.

LeFou

Personally, in RWS, I see the 8 as "expansion" because 8 Strength "strengthens" the energy of the suit. Wands is fire, so "fire energy expanding". But also, "fire in air" implies combustion. All this seems (to me) to tie in -reasonably- well with the traditional meanings of "quick conclusion" and "speedy development".

In terms of this card as something you don't want to happen, I'd guess it could mean "the inevitable," i.e., the "thing you don't want to happen" is already in motion, so act fast if you really want to avoid it.

GoddessArtemis

Have you heard the phrase "from sizzle to fizzle"? Sometimes things click so quickly between people, the chemistry is out of this world, the conversation brilliant, the mental connection unlike any other, all senses are heightened and everything between the two people seems to be in perfect sync, both heading in the same direction - like those wands flying rapidly in perfect harmony. It's HOT, it's sizzling....

...and two weeks later, it's over. Fizzle.

What a letdown. Nobody really wants that.

Ramin also makes a good point: things may be moving too fast, and your querent doesn't want that.

GA :heart:

LilliumStargazer

Thanks all :)

This really helped me gain some perspective, and interpret to her in a way that was easy to understand. I think she really identified most with LeFou's interpretation of it being the inevitable and she felt as if things might "end too quickly" for her tastes.