Experienced Querent's Emotional Pain during reading

Sienna

(Mods, please move this if I have posted in the wrong place, not sure if it should be in the Professional section)

Today I did a reading for a client, well she had a couple of issues (obviously) rapidly approaching her was the 5 of Cups (rx) I always take this this to mean that the pain is ending and a new day dawns etc. Well as I was telling her this, I felt her "pain" and it actually made me cry! (not uncontrollably or anything but just a few tears). Well it was a v.good reading for her and I felt fine immediately after the feeling, totally upbeat.

A very dear friend has suggested that this is potentially quite dangerous for me and I should ground myself better, but the feeling was very fleeting and it left no residue. I grounded myself afterwards btw.

Well I would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Sx

Alta

Feeling what others feel can have negative effects. It seems to go away afterwards but in my experience some of it 'sticks'. Better to do a clearing and grounding after and not actively look for such experiences. You are a great reader without going that connected.

Just my opinion of course.

huredriel

I've had this quite a few times ...... both online and in person ....... as Marion suggests, I try and ensure I ground and clear properly afterwards.

mnemosyne7

Hi Sienna,

This used to happen to me ALL the time when I began reading years ago. While it definitely helped me to connect to clients, it was rather jolting since it happened so frequently.

Feeling ungrounded and shaken up was really only part of the problem. When you are so empathic that you are feeling their stuff, it becomes your stuff - even if it is temporary - so you may mistakenly transfer into the reading, and seek to resolve your problems instead of theirs. Since the reader's solution may not be effective for the client's solution, that can be a problem.

I have found that I need to get my ego out of the way before reading. What works for me may not work for you, but may give you some ideas. The LBRP (Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram) is a wonderful way to clear space and banish stuff you don't want from an area - but I have found that the thing it does most effectively is GET MY EGO OUT OF THE WAY.

LBRP is not for everyone and it may take a while for it to be effective for someone in any case. If you have a favored banishing ritual or prayer or can create one that will make you mindful of what you are doing throughout the session, it may be helpful. It may take several sessions for you to see that it is working, so don't throw up your hands after one try.

All that said, I do still "feel" what my clients feel very often ... it simply doesn't resonate so loudly that I come to think of it as mine.

Also, if you have a religious practise, you may want to consider a small banishing/grounding ritual after all your reading is done ... and eating is good, too.

Hope some of that helps.

Mnem

tarotbear

Once upon a time I thought we did have a thread on the LBRP and also the 'Rose Cross' but they didn't show up on a search just now - or I did the search wrong.

The LBRP is very effective - but it takes practice! Unlike other rituals of protection, the LBRP does not have to be 'taken down.'

Sienna

mnemosyne7 said:
Hi Sienna

All that said, I do still "feel" what my clients feel very often ... it simply doesn't resonate so loudly that I come to think of it as mine

Mnem

Thank you for your helpful coments Mnem, but I never felt the pain as actually "mine", it was too fleeting and left no residue.. But I will certainly look into the LBRP ritual as this sounds most helpful.

Sx

Elven

Hi sienna :)

Yes this sort of 'connection' happens to me when I read for others, but it usually occurs during an aspect of the reading, and doesnt remain as I move through the reading spectrum. I may look at a card and get a 'sensation' of 'emotion', but not literally take on everything else that goes with it. Sometimes I feel 'happy' or a tinge of 'joy' sometimes it is more 'somber', or 'compassionate', sometimes I may get a very real sense of grief - but not be greived myself. I dont physically react to it (now) - but I respond to it through the reading process.
I use these impressions, and have found them accurate in relation to the reading, the question and to prompt further conversation. :) rarely do they stay with me for anytime longer than my focus on them. If they do I shift my focus, I breath deeply and on the out breat - remove them and dissolve them - my attention shift dissolves the feeling, and I move on.

I always do a protection and I always cleanse the cards before and afterwards.

If energy is stuck to me badly I know - I remember getting a headache so severly that I thought my eyes were going to start bleeding and my head crack open. Havent had that for a long time now - years. Taught me to be a bit more aware of matters.

Just some thoughts :)

Blessings
Elven x

tarotbear

just a note ...

For anyone else reading this thread:

I have posted both the Rose Cross and the LBRP in the 'Spirituality' forum, if anyone wants to take a look at them.

satinangel

tarotbear said:
For anyone else reading this thread:

I have posted both the Rose Cross and the LBRP in the 'Spirituality' forum, if anyone wants to take a look at them.

Thank you TB!

abella

Yes. I'm clairsentient and empathic. Those tend to be the "best" readings but can also be "dangerous" as your friend said. It all depends on how deeply it went and it can be exhausting. I prefer to avoid connecting that way for the most part since my readings are not very expensive. However, if I did offer expensive only readings I may want to connect in that way since as I said before, those are "the best" readings. :)

Sienna said:
A very dear friend has suggested that this is potentially quite dangerous for me and I should ground myself better, but the feeling was very fleeting and it left no residue. I grounded myself afterwards btw.

Well I would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar?