Feelings represented by Judgement

satine

I got an interesting duo of cards today.

X's Feelings for/attitude toward someone: XX Judgement

What this someone represents to X: 8 of Swords

This seems like an odd combination to me. There's a strong sense of X feeling a fresh start, seeing things very clearly perhaps for the first time in a while. Within context, it would seem that this person has been a source of confusion for X. Whatever the situation, X has felt powerless to fix it-- in terms of the relationship and/or factors surrounding the relationship. Now, though, the Judgement card offers hope, or at least a chance for clarity.

Am I missing something with this, though? Thanks. :)

lark

satine said:
I got an interesting duo of cards today.

X's Feelings for/attitude toward someone: XX Judgement

What this someone represents to X: 8 of Swords

This seems like an odd combination to me. There's a strong sense of X feeling a fresh start, seeing things very clearly perhaps for the first time in a while. Within context, it would seem that this person has been a source of confusion for X. Whatever the situation, X has felt powerless to fix it-- in terms of the relationship and/or factors surrounding the relationship. Now, though, the Judgement card offers hope, or at least a chance for clarity.

Am I missing something with this, though? Thanks. :)

This doesn't look to good to me...it gives me the feeling that his attitude towards X is that he would like to be released from her and start a new transformed life...and that what she represents to him is feeling trapped...and he may be holding off ending it out of fear of hurting her or having to endure an uncomfortable scene.
But he's thinking that there is really no good reason to continue like this.

Sorry I wish I could see it in a more positive light.

PentQueen

I would agree with Lark. I tend to see Judgement as "release" and associated with "endings/releasing from the old & outworn" anyway, and the 8 of swords seems to support the idea of letting go of this relationship, due to the feelings of entrapment associated with it.

satine

PentQueen said:
I would agree with Lark. I tend to see Judgement as "release" and associated with "endings/releasing from the old & outworn" anyway, and the 8 of swords seems to support the idea of letting go of this relationship, due to the feelings of entrapment associated with it.

I agree with you both... I can definitely see this interpretation, but I wasn't sure if it could potentially be viewed in a different light. Certainly one would think of the 8 of Swords as a kind of imprisonment, entanglement at least, and then the Judgement to me also is often about freedom, letting go, having a fresh start that is no longer marked by the things that were inhibiting or weighing/roping you down in the past.

I think that one way in which I need to grow as a tarot reader is that I really do try to see all potential positive meanings rather than just looking at the cards bare. Particularly when I'm reading for others, I hesitate to say something that sounds too dreadful, especially if I'm not sure if there is a more pleasant way to interpret the same two (or however many) cards. You know? That's something I need to work on, but I suspect I'll get better at addressing that, the more confident I feel in myself as a reader.

GoddessArtemis

If the 8 of Swords wasn't what the person represents, I might see Judgment differently...say, the person has suddenly had a "wake-up" call and realizes that this person is important to them or something similar.

But in combo with the 8 of Swords, I'd agree with the rest.

GA

berrieh

Judgement, for how we feel in a relationship, I think represents the time afterwards where we can see clearly, know what happened (to some degree), feel we learned something, appreciate the other person, and feel completely ready to move on. There's no going back, but there's also a sense of appreciation and respect for what has happened.

Teheuti

Often our greatest insights arise out of difficult situations and encounters with difficult people. The more compressed we ourselves feel, the more there is a chance for an amazing breakthrough. When writing a book I now get paradoxically excited when I'm experiencing a block because I know that when I finally hit bottom and feel like there is no where else to go, that I'll be right on the verge of a breakthrough.

So if person Y represents the 8 of Swords to person X, then there is a sense of inaccessibility. Y represents being all tied up (tongue-tied?) or victimized - unable to take action or get anywhere. Dealing with someone like that can catalyze a tremendous feeling of liberation in ourselves when we finally understand what is going on.

For instance, I had a major breakthrough in a college class when the professor was angrily berating us for not being more responsive in class (he was so snide and condescending!) - I felt like I was chained in hell. I got really angry and told him off in front of everyone - said that none of us would be taking an advanced Shakespeare elective if we hadn't been interested, and that the only problem was his attitude that we were stupid and ignorant. Rather, this was something we had chosen and he was stupid for not realizing that all we wanted was to learn.

It was a huge breakthrough for me - speaking up to a teacher - but the result was that both he and the class seemed to wake up out of a stupor and he really started teaching us. Everyone's attitude changed and I got a top grade. As I think of it now, maybe he only needed a dominatrix!!

Anyway, the feeling of liberation, in my experience, is in direct ratio to the extent to which I previously felt constrained!

Mary