Final Year Reading

Little Baron

Just drew six cards to gain insight into my final year at university.

1 How should I approach this year? (Wheel of Fortune) Rx
2 What will be my strengths? (Ace of Wands)
3 How can I overcome obstacles (Eight of Coins)
4 What do I need to do to make this year successful? (The Hermit)
5 Who will help me? (The World)
6 Outcome (Four of Cups) Rx

Obviously, I am a little (well, very) apprehensive about this final year. I know that it is going to be hard work, late nights (if I get any sleep at all), stresses and tears and very important (the chance to show everyone what I am about and showcase that in my end of year show).

In the first possition, the Wheel looks at opportunities that I will be given. I am not the best at snatching opportunities when they arrise and the chess peices on their board remind me that there are many other people working their way into the same industry that are hungry for success and will be there waiting to snatch whatever they can before I do. The 'win' and 'lose' boards remind me just how cut-throat and fickle the fashion industry is; my grades and performance are reliant on other peoples opinions and I already understand that these opinions are as black and white as the squares on this chess board; my work may be in favour one week, and the next, it will not.
I think that this card, in its reverse possition also suggests patience. I will not achieve my dreams instantly but there will be a time and possibility, through hard work, for me to eventually shine. The whole unpredictable side of the industry and the course is symbolised in the turning of the wheel, for me.

My strengths show us as a single wand. The fact that it dances within the circus helps me to feel possitive; that the adventure into my career is just starting this year, as I put my energy into exciting new tasks and really begin to let people (and myself) discover just what sort of designer I am. I think that it shows my strengths in deligating, having new and original decisions and ideas, moving quickly. Inspiration and creativity shine within this card and individuality is paramount.

William helps me overcome obstacles within the 8 of Coins. Self-discipline, strong will, determination and a mastering of skills are what are going to get me through. Practice will make perfect and when things go wrong, I need to take a few minutes, have a cigarette and a coffee, then put myself back infront of that sewing machine and have another go.

To be successful, the Hermit advises me to use balance correctly. There will be times when I need to get away from it all, so to speak, however much pressures and work is hanging over my head. He symbolises my need to retreat (maybe into something unconnected, such as The Tarot) and take a little time to myself.
He also advises me to be myself and find out just who it is that I want to be. I will be surrounded by a lot of shallow individuals that want fame, success and all of the things that come with the profession but the Hermit tells me that everything that I do must be for the right reasons and that aside from being who 'I' am, I must stay true to my own ideals.

The World will help me? In a way, maybe that isn't as silly as it initially sounds. My contacts will probably be vast and there will be a lot of people from many different areas that are not connected with each other but will offer me support - tutors, sponsers, publicists, hairdressers, photographers, stylists, students, housemates, friends, family, banks, models. The tools/ elements on the table show me in what kind of way they may display themselves - plant (earth), family, financial support, shops that will lend me shoes and accessories for the final catwalk show - glass (water), friends and family, emotional support - candle (fire), things getting done, others running around and helping with the things I don't have the time to do physically, other students who will be asigned to me as 'helpers', machinists, tailors - cloud (air), communication, publicity, emails.
I think of the song 'He's got the whole world in his hands' and that makes me feel a little more confident about the whole endeavour.

Lastly, we meet Polly as my outcome card. Everything seemed possitive until I drew this one. I can certainly see myself in her; sitting up in the dark doing my fashion illustrations, surrounded by body parts and dress dummies; endless cups of cold coffee surrounding me, each one helping to keep me awake for another hour on the night before an assessment. I see this card as a lonely one and I think it shows the difference between me and the other designers I work with. They are very 'in your face' and flamboyant. I prefer to work alone in the corner, occasionally requesting help from a tutor or pattern cutter. I like this method sometimes; it keeps me grounded and makes me an individual, rather than a fashion follower.

Any comments on this spread? Some of it makes sense, even though I find Polly to be just a little unconnected to the other cards.

Look forward to your responses before I dance my way out of the theater and back into the studio.

Best wishes

Yaboot

galadrial

Hi Yaboot,

your comments on the Wheel of Fortune remind me of some lyrics by Graham Parker: "Hey baby, I'm out of favor, you can't always be the right flavor." I ususally look at the Wheel of Fortune as a challange to not get caught on the rim- the part that invariably goes up and down- at all. It reminds me that, in or out of favor, I need to stay centered, to find a fixed sense of self that does not depend on outer experience. Also, it reminds of the fact that the Wheel is itself suspended in and dependent on a fifth element, and that if I keep my mind fixed on what lies beyond the Wheel, that inner peace, that sense living at the hub, is easier to acheive.

When I get Polly, it tends to mean that I'm suffering from sensory overload. I need a nice quiet spell with my cat and maybe a good book. I'm thinking that after a long period immersed in creating, doing, and being connected to all the earth, you will want a period of withdrawl. Polly has not forgotten her buddies; she will show them the picture she drew of them when she is ready to connect with them again. She has a heart on her chest; this is not a funk or a snit, she just needs to be away from the hustle and bustle. She needs to process and integrate the experiences she has recently had. And she needs to assess her present state and what her future potentialities are. The fours show stability and pause. I think this is her "base" camp- where she will look at her current strengths and weaknesses and plan her strategy before venturing out again. Maybe she is drawing those figures as a memory device; she is thinking about what she has learned from each one and what part, if any, they may play from here on out.

Love and light; and remember, the forum is part of your Earth too (one of those green, flourishing trees, of course:)

Little Baron

Thanks Galadrial.

Your interpretation of Polly made me feel a lot more possitive about the reading.

Yaboot