Found funky book-boxes at the reject shop

euripides

Storing my decks is always a problem and I usually hide them when the relatives are around, so they live in a closed cupboard. So I was pleased to find these really cute 'fake book' boxes. Pretty good for five and ten bucks.

So they're not exactly luxurious, but the outsides are quite nice - one has 'Paris' down the spine on black, and another has some French text on a light background. The small size holds a small deck (my Touchstone in its bag) perfectly, while the larger size holds a book and two decks. The fact that it holds a deck and slots neatly into my bookshelf is great. Bigger lidded boxes take up a lot of space, and you've got to take decks out to find the ones underneath.

http://www.rejectshop.com.au/assets/images/catalogue/large_31.jpg

Has anyone seen any other nice mini boxes for decks anywhere?

Grizabella

What a great find! Now you can just hope nobody comes over with an interest in books and things French. :p I haven't seen any of those around here, but they're great. What a neat hiding place.

Bhavana

Barnes & Noble was selling a version of these a few months ago. They probably still have them. Small to large sizes. Pretty. I thought they'd be a great place to hide money, jewelry, anything else you need to stash away....I didn't think of cards.

I am still looking for the perfect card box. I wish the dang publishers would just include the thumb tuck boxes for each deck like USGames does. The closest I have come to a good, protective box are the plastic index card holders.

AJ

A friend bought a whole bunch of these at the local Ross store, they were very well made. Our Ross is probably quite similar to your Reject store, they get in the out of date stuff the regular stores are getting rid of.

Cassandra022

if you dont mind the mutilation of real books/want to be even more convincing, there is also the products on this website:

http://www.secretstoragebooks.com/

i think it's a really cool idea, though in my case i don't actually need to hide decks in this manner, but yes, very cool.

graspee

I would put my relatives in the books and leave the cards out.

euripides

lol well it's not just about hiding them, if there was a nice Tarot themed book box I'd choose one of those too :) but a good way to have them protected on the shelf too.

I've seen plastic sleeves that individual cards can go into - a guy at a gaming group had his entire Magic the Gathering deck in them - but they'd be too small for most Tarot cards. Not so nice for handling, but a good way to protect frequently used, precious cards.

Love the hollow books, but OTOH there's such sadness that they've been damaged... I have a bit of a thing for books...

Bhavana

lol well it's not just about hiding them, if there was a nice Tarot themed book box I'd choose one of those too :) but a good way to have them protected on the shelf too.

I've seen plastic sleeves that individual cards can go into - a guy at a gaming group had his entire Magic the Gathering deck in them - but they'd be too small for most Tarot cards. Not so nice for handling, but a good way to protect frequently used, precious cards.

Love the hollow books, but OTOH there's such sadness that they've been damaged... I have a bit of a thing for books...

I hear you loud and clear here! Sacrilege to mutilate a book like that (..I wouldn't be able to trim my cards either.) But I wouldn't feel so bad about books containing certain subject matter, such as Britney Spears' beauty routine, bodice ripper romances, or any math book...

Morwenna

Sometimes at a tag sale or flea market you can find an already damaged book that they'll let go for pennies or even free just to get rid of it. If it's an easy-to-find potboiler, so much the better; it's not like you'd be depriving the world! Then, hack away! :D

Or an out-of-date economics textbook or such, if you're in a college town and the grad students are bugging out after they get their degrees. Books get routinely abandoned if they can't find a buyer, or sometimes they won't even try to find a buyer.

ETA: (next day) There also exist blank books, some with rather nice covers. If you can find one thick enough, that might be just the thing!