General public readings: table & booth privacy questions

Ruya

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a smaller, lighter alternative to the card table I've been lugging around the last couple of years. I found these and the size & ease of set up is appealing, but I wonder about stability. Do any of you use this type of table?

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/tables/folding-tables/product-prod3280066#nomodal

http://www.amazon.com/FlashFurnitur..._indust_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AX3WXB0WYDBK5RJQTZE

My second question is does anyone have suggestions on an inexpensive way to create a bit of privacy or the illusion of privacy at a booth with other vendors nearby? I'm doing a large indoor event in May (8am-5pm, whew!) where vendors will be within a few feet of each other. Past events I've done always put me off to the side away from other vendors, so this is my first time adhering to a set area and with others in proximity. I'm allowed to set up a pop-up tent or market umbrella, but due to size and/or cost neither seems feasible. Any suggestions?

rainboweve

What about getting a tri-fold poster board? You could leave it down when people are walking by and then put it up to create privacy whenever you are doing a reading. They shouldn't be expensive either, maybe around $5 USD.

ETA: Oops, forgot to say, I don't have any experience with the smaller tables.

nisaba

I read everywhere from private corners of new age shops to open tables in busy cafes.

You might think there's no privacy in the latter, but once someone sits down, the space around us becomes our own. And surrounding noise (sound of service, talking of other customers) becomes a part of the veil of privacy.

Privacy really isn't an issue - as soon as a reading starts, it's just you, the client, and the cards. Everything else ceases to exist.

Ruya

Nisaba, I understand what you're saying and I agree, once you're reading you're in a space and energy with that other person and everything else drops away - until someone decides they MUST cut through/squeeze past right by your table (bumping or pulling tablecloth in the process). It hasn't happened often, but I watch for it. I remembered I've got a couple of small rugs rolled up somewhere and I think that would work well to help define the space.

A local office supply store has one of those tables so I'm going to check it out during lunch. Two would be perfect - one for reading and one for holding business cards, etc. I'll report back & share my thoughts on the table :)

AJ

that first table, there isn't anywhere for knees is there?

an alternative thought, have you tried stacking all your stuff on a roll along luggage carrier and then bungie cord it all on?

It is what I've used many times to get tons of packages to the post office,
carry tons of quilts to shows
tote sewing machine and tons of bits to classes...
They are sort of like a working womans furniture trolley/hand truck

Ruya

The rectangular one was in stock at the local OfficeMax. It's lightweight and the tabletop detaches from the legs. When you're ready to use it then the legs hook in underneath the top at whatever height you choose. I put it all the way up and grabbed a regular wheeled office chair to sit in & check height. I'm 5'4" and it was a tad too tall, so I'd probably let it down a notch for me. For someone very tall or with long legs, it might not be a good choice. I was comfortable sitting under it, my knees were on either side of the table legs where they cross and I didn't feel cramped. It's like a large TV tray, but sturdy & without the wobble. With a floor length tablecloth I think it'd look just fine. However... :) I'm not entirely sold on having two people sit at it. I could sit with my legs under it some, but the sitter would not be able to "pull up" to it & if they tried we'd definitely be bumping knees. I want to go back and have my spouse sit on the other side and then see. I do like it very much though, and IMO not bad at all for $30.

If it doesn't look like it'll work, I'll likely go with the round table on Amazon that's in the same/similar style. I just really need something lighter and not so unwieldy.

AJ, I do have one of those collapsible rolling carts and it is a life saver! But, the card table is still heavy & I haven't been able to successfully bungee it well enough to not tip while wheeling it around. Plus it sticks out enough on the sides that navigating doorways, elevators, and corners can be challenging.

Thank you everyone for the replies & suggestions, I appreciate your help! :)

Mellaenn

Ruya, I have used that very table for several years at street fairs and the like; it's perfect for when you don't have much space and you have to carry the table yourself. I put a nice big scarf on it as a tablecloth and I'm good to go.

By they way, I'm very tall and although it's not quite as comfy as a regular table, it's really not that bad for knees for me and the client. So I think you'll be fine! It's definitely worth the $30! :)

Ruya

Ruya, I have used that very table for several years at street fairs and the like; it's perfect for when you don't have much space and you have to carry the table yourself. I put a nice big scarf on it as a tablecloth and I'm good to go.

By they way, I'm very tall and although it's not quite as comfy as a regular table, it's really not that bad for knees for me and the client. So I think you'll be fine! It's definitely worth the $30! :)

Thanks Mellaenn! I liked the table, but will likely go with the other one I posted, but in 24" size. $10 more and the height is not adjustable (29.4"), but still smaller and more lightweight than a card table. :)