Golden Tarot - Learning the meanings of the suits

bitofacrank

Hi

Just bought the Golden Tarot - absolutely love it.

However, as a beginner, I have only learnt the major arcana (which I already new from a Rider-Waite pack I had a few years ago.

does anyone have any good ideas/tips on learning the 4 suits - there are a lot of cards to learn with a lot of similarity between them! I'm currently making notes on index cards - any suggestions?

Thanksxx!

Isarma

minor arcana

hello, try to learn them by suits, it is easy if you follow the litlle book, the suits are separated by elements, if you learn those elements, and what they stand for it's easy, so try to learn all the aces firts, then the twos etc... and the court cards I like to study last :p

Milfoil

The Golden tarot is beautiful isn't it? I love it still after several years.

DimSum

two types of associations helped me most in learning the suits: one with the elements, the other with being human. Because to me those are physical and tangible and have instant associations

fire-WANDS
water-CUPS
earth-COINS
air-SWORDS

physical-COINS
emotional-CUPS
mental or intellectual-SWORDS
spiritual-WANDS

and yes I just got the Golden Tarot recently and it is beautiful, I love working with it!

celticnoodle

since you are already making notes on index cards, (something I did too!), why not make a short index card giving you an idea of what the suits and numbers 'core' meanings are about. Such as:

for instance, what DimSum noted is a good start--
fire-WANDS
water-CUPS
earth-COINS
air-SWORDS

physical-COINS
emotional-CUPS
mental or intellectual-SWORDS
spiritual-WANDS

just so you have that part down. Then on a separate or the same index card numbered Ace to 10, you can list things such as:

Ace: beginnings
Twos: partner
Threes: group involvement/developing
Fours: thoughts, manifestation
Fives: challenges
Sixes: adjustments
Sevens: maintaining control
Eights: courage and transformation
Nines: situation coming to an end
Tens: A new beginning--a new start

just as a start. You can also do the same with the courts.

Crescent

I too, have the Golden Tarot... I Love it!!

Celticnoodle has a great idea. I have done this very thing, but have it in a journal that I created just for tarot studies.