Gothic Tarot of the Vampire - 5 The Hierophant

nuneith

I delayed posting on this card because I can’t see anything beyond the LWB’s definition.

“The Hierophant – The Ancient – Advice, connection with a higher power, bowing one’s head with respect, accepting.”

Fairly straightforward and I agree the card represents all of the above. I would add that I like the fact the two figures are standing in water, which tends to represent the unconscious or the emotions. Also they’ve continued the stone thread from the Emperor.

Interestingly, I just noticed that the Emperor and the Hierophant cards are the two cards so far that aren’t set in an urban setting. The Fool is set in an alleyway, the Magician and companion are dressed appropriately for the urban arena, the High Priestess could be sitting in any apartment or flat in the world. Even the Empress card with it’s lack of background and metrosexual appearance is urban.

Magi

To me, the hierophant is the great teacher. With him you learn not with books, pen & paper, but with time, experince, & insight.

annik

I feel this one does have a lot of life experience. Knowledge don't always comes from books.

Usually, I don't connect with the hierophant. But this one seems more primitive and more attuned to the inner self.

nuneith

In a lot of decks the Hierophant is seen as a leader and teacher, but I’ve always seen vampires as loners, so for me this card represents different stages along the same path (whatever the path means to you) it just depends on which individual you relate to during the reading. The figure in the foreground bows to greater powers while the uplifting, shaven, closer-to-androgynous figure connects to the cosmos. Perhaps the 2nd figure does represent the teacher/leader by simply showing that the path is there to be found.