Greenwood Tarot 4 of Arrows -Rest-

Mi-Shell

From Chesca Potter's notes:
The Fours

Major arcana: Greenman and Greenwoman Position on wheel: Midsummer Solstice. Chakra: heart.

Four of Arrows: Rest

A person lies down in nature, resting so that their imagination and spirit can take flight and rejuvenate. A rest, a holiday, a cessation of activity, healing. Feeling more positive, seeing the beauty in yourself and everything around you.

Attachments

• four of arrows AT size.jpg
    four of arrows AT size.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 391

Mi-Shell

What I see in this card is quite different from what Chesca writes above:
There is set up a sacred place, flanked by 4 arrows.
Very much like I would mark my visioning site with Prayer staffs. here too the arrows is are signs of Power, but also of holding and protecting sacred space.
A man is laying naked upon the green Earth within the marked area. He is bare of any pretense.
Behind him however the contours of the land remind me of the body of a woman; the living Earth.
The man’s eyes are closed and the light directly around his head indicates a shamanic state of consciousness.

I envision him practicing deeeeeep belly breathing and so exchanging energy with his surroundings.
Above him a multicolored Butterfly's floating in the air, symbol of the change of form, change of being, the transformation from one stage of living into another.
The Butterfly itself radiates - bleeds light, colour and energy. It however is fed by a steady stream of the same pure energy from above. It enters its body in the form of a 3 pronged shaft, reminding me of the sacred trinity.
To an outsider this man appears to be sleeping - at rest. To me this is a person in trance.
The Butterfly of energy and light lets me think it is an Upper World journey, that just began.
What wisdom will he bring back from this voyage?

Mi-Shell

I thought I better mention, that this is the second card featuring a large Butterfly as a Journey facilitator.
In the Fool sheer instinctual knowledge propelled the shamanic apprentice to be “sucked into" the Butterfly vortex of her own inner world and through it allowed the very opening of the phylogenetically older parts of the brain that on an equally deeper level of consciousness taught her the wisdom of the Spirits by means of the vibrant images of the trance experience.
Now, with more experience and knowledge of the shamanic path this seer deliberately travels along the known path of "Butterfly Energy" to reach the Guides of the Upper Realm in order to communicate with them.

Mi-Shell

Butterfly in Europe has a rather bad rap!

From Animal Wisdom; Jessica Dawn Palmer

As so often seen, the same phenomenon witnessed by two cultures (the European and aboriginal American) gave rise to two different interpretations. For Native American peoples, Butterfly is the art of transformation. Butterfly represents the never-ending cycle of life, 'symbolic' death and rebirth; hence, its medicine bestows not only the capability, but the clarity of mind needed before any self-transformation. Butterfly emerging from his chrysalis was a symbol of resurrection. The exquisite creature was considered a miracle of transformation and resurrection. Butterfly is the power of air, the ability to float upon the breeze. Butterfly is known for its darting flight; therefore, it represents the mind and the ability to change it when necessary.

In the Old World however the connotation was negative. For the ancients and in later European traditions the butterfly was thought to be the spirit of the dead. In Gnostic art, the angel of death is depicted crushing a butterfly underfoot. Its attraction to flame and light symbolize purification by fire. Sailors believed if they saw a butterfly before embarkation, they would die at sea. In some areas of England it is still thought that butterflies contain the souls of unhappy children who have come back to life. Elsewhere in England, a person is supposed to kill the first one they see or face a year of bad luck. If the first butterfly that arrives in the spring is yellow, sickness is in store for the family. Only in Scotland and Ireland does the appearance of a golden butterfly near the dead signify something good, for it is believed that the butterfly ensures the soul's place in heaven.
........................................................................................

Standard dictionary of Folklore Mythology and legend:

Not at all are butterflies looked on as good: In much of Europe they are tabu. In parts of Scotland, Friesland, England and Bosnia, butterflies are regarded as witches; in Serbia and Westphalia, butterflies are also thus regarded. St. Peter's Day, February 22, is set aside for the expulsion of witches and moths. Children go about knocking on the houses with hammers, reciting rimes and incantations to drive them out of the houses. Elsewhere butterflies are thought to be fairies in disguise, who steal butter and milk.
In the matter of capturing and killing butterflies there is a good bit of disagreement. Among the Magyars it is lucky to catch the first one of the season. In Oldenburg the first one should be caught and allowed to fly through your coat sleeve; in Devon it should be killed; but elsewhere in the west of England it is unlucky to kill it. In Essex the first white one should be caught and its head bitten off, but it should be allowed to flyaway. In Somerset and Dorset they kill the moths; in the north of England, the red butterflies; in Pitsligo, the tortoise-shell ones; in Llanidloes, the colored ones; and in the Vosges region of France they should all be caught. In Scotland it is unlucky to kill or keep them, while in Suffolk they should be·tenderly entreated, and in the west of Scotland the white ones are fed.
There are many superstitions regarding specific butterflies. Among the Bulgarians a dark one presages sickness. In Brunswick if the first one of the season is white it is an omen of death, if yellow, of birth, and if variegated, of marriage. In Rumaenia, the first one, if white, announces sickness, and health if red. Some say that if the first butterfly is white it will be a rainy summer, if dark, a season of thunderstorms, and if yellow, sunny weather. Among the Celts, to see one fly by night means death. In Hampshire to see 3 together is a bad omen.
................................................................................................
I am astounded and perplexed to learn that about these European and Celtic views concerning Butterfly!
What was Chesca’s intentions.when drawing this Shape Changer? (Insect)

I also wonder, iffff maybe New Age views have "sanitised" Butterfly of all its traditional negative conotations or, rather then adhering to the old traditional meanings, adopted the much gentler Native American view of the Creature???

Faolainn Storm

I have never heard the negative views of butterflies before. I have heard them when related to moths. I had a friend who got very upset when I killed a moth. To her they were the spirits of the dead and were very special. And I have also heard of moths being the spirits of the dead and therefore to something to be avoided.

But I have never heard anything about butterflies. I am as astounded as you are by these references. The only reference I can think of is the story of Eros and Psyche (Psyche begin the Greek word for butterfly) where Psyche is considered to be the deification of the human soul. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid_and_Psyche

FS