Haindl Tarot

lost01

Hi,

Ive been considering this deck for a long time, I love the artwork and symbolism on the majors. However, the minors dont seem to be as "filled in". I was wondering what kind of experiences anyone might have had with this deck- is it difficult to read with? Are the I-Ching hexagrams useful?
-mike-

raeanne

I have the Haindl Tarot and I really like it. The more I look at it, the more I see! I strongly recommend Rachel Pollack?s books, The Haindl Tarot: Volume I and II that explain this deck. There is some symbolism that I wouldn?t have understood on my own. The I Ching hexagrams are explained in Volume II on the Minor Arcana. The Hebrew letters are on the Majors and knowledge of Kabbalah will add another dimension, as will knowledge of Runes. I don?t totally agree with the choice of which rune is on which card but I can adjust. Overall, I like the artwork and I can read with these cards without any difficulty. They are somewhat similar to the Thoth deck because there are many different levels to each card. If you like the art, you will probably enjoy working with them.

truthsayer

i had gotten so frustrated w/ the haindl deck that i was ready to trade it. however, i found rachel pollacks book on haindl and it was like reading the interpretation of another language. i can't say that the i ching or the runes do much for me either way b/c i don't dabble enough in either to be affected. i think the minor arcana is a bit unimaginative but the majors are great. for example, what i remember about the pentacles is that it's a varying # of rocks in a pile w/ some drab landscape. the fool card is the reason i bought the deck. i am so burned out w/ fool cards w/ a man about to walk over a cliff w/ a dog jumping up beside him. the fool in haindl is very unique. if you just want to gain deeper insights into the tarot i think the BOOK and the cards would be would be interesting to you.

truthsayer

i definitely don't recommend haindl to beginners and definitely not to anyone w/o the pollack "translation". however, if it really speaks to you don't let me dissuade you either. i read the thoth accurately for over 10 years w/o understanding all the symbollism by relying on my intuition. i've told by several that i shouldn't have been able to that but i did!! :p

lost01

Thanks for your thoughts Reanne and Truth;) I was wondering about the I-ching in it because some of the minors dont seem to have a lot going on in them, lol *especially* the pentacles. I ordered the Haindl w/book set though im not sure if this is anything like the books vol1/2 you guys mentioned. Reanne- it is interesting that you mentioned Thoth because (in my moment of weakness;) I ordered it also. Im excited, I just hope these two decks dont blow my mind too much;)
-mike-

New River

hi! i read with the Haindl deck for a few years. i started with the I-Ching so it was a natural transition to the Hanidl deck. my husband does the runes so that fit too.

there is deep reading to be done with this deck. i wore out the first set of books and had to replace them. i'm sure you will get the 2 books people are talking about. i couldn't have gotten to know the deck without them. there's just so much! the I-Ching alone can take years to master.

i found that some of my clients were put off by the intense look of some of the cards. i think if the interpretation sounded too tame to them they thought i was holding back. but i got satisfying, deep results using them for myself.

they incorporate all philosophies and you will find some are dominate for certain people. these cards will speak in some way with all of their symbology.

i really hope you enjoy them. i have moved on to the voyager deck which i'm finding more lighthearted. but if i want a deep reading, i always use haindl. love and light, New River

Andryh

Hello,
I have been using the Haindl deck for over a year now, and in my experience it has been an incredibly rewarding deck to work with. It has challenged me in ways that no other deck has. There is nothing cute or fun about this deck. It is all business. If tarot is more to you than just a game or a pastime, this is a good thing. As you probably already know, the art is beautiful, ethereal and very evocative. I can't recommend this deck enough. Many people swear by Rachel Pollack's accompanying book(s) on this deck. I have to say, that while I love Rachel's 78 Degrees of Wisdom, I find her interpretations and insights into this deck rather lacking. This is especially evident when she discusses cards of the minor arcana. She is quick to explain what the various elements of the cards mean, but when I look at the cards, I don't see the things she sees, and therefore her interpretations come off as rather meaningless. An example of this is the three of cups, where she comments that the rocks in the picture are reminiscant of a shark fin and a croccodile. And then goes on to explain the esoteric symbolism of these two animals. Thing is, I've looked at that card countless times, and never saw a croc or a shark! Even having read her view of the card, I'm still befuddled on where she sees a croccodile...Or even something suggestive of one. Keep in mind that the pips are paintings previously done by Haindl, in which he superimposed cups, swords, stones and wands. Is it reasonable to glean meaning from paintings that the artist probably never intended to feature as tarot cards? I suppose it depends on the paintings and what they convey. Some are great (such as the ten of cups), and some are rather vague if not misleading (such as the three of stones). My recommendation is not to try to find meaning in a painting that was not painted to convey the meaning of the card. When these cards come up, simply stick to your intuition about it or the classic interpretation. Most of the cards in this deck are absolutely wonderful. Even the few that leave you scratching your head are a beauty to behold. If you decide this deck is for you, I wish you many hours of delight with it. Hope I helped some.

truthsayer

andryh,
i so appreciate you explaining how haindl painted the pictures w/o meaning to create a tarot deck--only later were symbols added in to make a deck. it gave me one of those "lightbulb" moments when something suddenly seems to make sense. :-o i can read the majors on haindl but the minors just don't gel for me. your explanation helps it make sense. i'll try to ride more on intuition on the minors but for the most part i can only connect to the majors. this info make help my haindl block. i usually give up on a deck before now (over a year)but something strong called me to haindl and i ain't giving up! :D

lost01

Thanks Andryh and NewRiver=) I am *really* looking forward to this deck!
-mike-