Harry Potter

dangerdork

Has anyone besides me noticed Harry's pose on the cover of Deathly Hallows?

It's The Magician!

Just sayin'...

Chronata

Hah! You are right there!
I hadn't really noticed...but i'm sure it's not an accident!

I think JK knows a bit about the tarot..there were past references to the Tower...and the first chapter of book 7 had a reference that made me instantly recall the Hanged Man!

I wonder if there are other references or descriptions I missed?
I wouldn't be at all surprised..

Lillie

Beginning of book four.
The pub in the village of Little Hangleton (Riddles parents home) is called 'The Hanged man'.

That and the Tower are the only ones I know that explicitly use the Tarot names.
Fair ammount of Wands Swords and Cups. No pentacles, but plenty of coins.

We had different covers, of course.
Not better though. Wasn't keen on this last one.

FoolToThink

OH okay:

There is a chapter in Goblet of Fire called The Hanged Man (it is a bar in the town where Voldemort's dad grew up).

And yes, The Tower had very strong references in book 6...there was a chapter called Lightning Struck Tower, and Trewlawney, the Divination teacher, goes about waving The Tower card around saying something big was going to happen. In in that particular chapter, something big does happen (and it is quite literally the card image!...not going to say it though, just in case someone hasn't read the 6th book).

Also I do believe there was a small reading...maybe three or maybe just one card...I swear it had some swords in it...in the 6th book, but I totally don't remember where it was.

ALSO, I once read, and it might have been on here actually except I'm not sure, a very interesting thing about how majors 1-7 and also 11-17 correspond very closely to the plots of books 1-7. REALLY intriguing if you look at it!

Honey~Bee

You know I have to go get the book and look at the cover to even realize it BUT IT IS! wow! total coolness there. I wonder if the illustrator did that on purpose? Maybe they read tarot themselvs. That would be interesting, hehe here would be something even more ironic is that if they where a tarot reader that they where a member of AT!

Just some silly thoughs of mine, I seriously need to re-read the series so I can remember what happened when before I start of the deathly hallows.

Honey~Bee

Lillie

The reading was as Trelawney was walking down the corridor and Harry wa hiding to aviod her.
She was using playing cards and mentioned spades.

MeeWah

Yes. Harry Potter's pose definitely reminiscent of The Magician.

It always struck as odd, however, that the characters in the series seem to have a negative view of divination. Perhaps related to the teacher on the subject, who seems to represent an extreme stereotypical reader & to lack general credibility for the manner.

Debra

I think they want to emphasize free will. So the Centaur's cosmic astronomical divination seems ok, but it's so vague it doesn't threaten the idea that we make our own futures.