Hawk's Eye

frac_ture

I'm having some trouble getting a definitive answer to this question, so hopefully someone here might know...

The main hard copy book I've been using to study crystals is The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall. In the section on Tiger's Eye, she describes the stone in general, then gives specific attributes of a couple of different colors of Tiger's Eye (such as Blue and Red). She then has a separate section of a different "form" of Tiger's Eye -- form, not color -- which she calls Hawk's Eye. The one picture provided shows a stone that does indeed have a sort of eye-like feature visible within the larger overall shape. The image doesn't make it easy to tell if the "eye" is a structural feature, or just a variation in color that wouldn't be discernible by touch (although if pressed, I'd guess that it's structural, and you could feel it as well as see it). The image also makes it tough to determine the stone's true color...it looks sort of greenish, but is it a dark example of the standard golden-brown Tiger's Eye? Is it a very pale and green-tinted specimen of Blue Tiger's Eye? I can't tell. Finally, she describes Hawk's Eye as "a banded 'hawk-like' form of Tiger's Eye"...which doesn't settle anything for me -- the picture she's providing doesn't even look especially "banded" as far as I can see!

Internet searching seems to offer a contradictory finding: the consensus I found online seems to say that "Hawk's Eye" isn't anything more than another way to refer to Blue Tiger's Eye -- as simple as that, with no "banded" quality or eye-like structures visible in the stone required.

So...does anyone here have a solid definition of what Hawk's Eye really is...? Thank you in advance!

frac_ture

Just bumping this in case someone with a wealth of info about Hawk's Eye missed it the first time around, and hasn't mined down far enough through the past week's worth of posts to have spotted it...;)

omshanti72

Hi

From what I can gather Hawk's Eye is the name given to the blue variety of Tiger's Eye but having read the section in the Crystal Bible what I think she means by Hawk's Eye is when the banding in the stone forms the shape of an eye and this gives this a slightly different vibration than the blue tiger's eye without that shape. In the same way that Agate with the eye shape is often called "Eye of Shiva" agate but would still have the basic same energy as standard agate.

Most stones that form an eye like shape often are sited as having a protective quality & keeps you safe from "the evil eye" or negative energy and can often be used as a personal protection amulet.

Hope this helps a little ;) omshanti - blessings.

frac_ture

Hi, omshanti -- thanks so much for the reply!

So it sounds like our respective takes on the general consensus is the same: that is, most people use the phrase "Hawk's Eye" to mean Blue Tiger's Eye, whether or not it has an eye-shaped feature.

I guess you're also taking Judy Hall's mention of it to mean that she, too, is talking about Blue Tiger's Eye, but the difference here is that she is requiring an eye-shaped feature to totally satisfy her definition?

I do appreciate your added info about the eye-shaped features in general, as I have a few pieces of both "standard" (ie., gold/brown) and Red Tiger's Eye that have eye-like elements, and I wasn't sure what to make of those. I've been reaching the conclusion, though, that as with something like reading Tarot, some aspects of working with crystals and stones seem to ask us to apply some of our own intuition and personalized takes when using them (and I'm okay with that -- I just wanted to see if anyone more expert in this realm had some thoughts on this particular question)... Thanks again for the input!