Hierophants' checkered past?

Cascade

I noticed running down the sides of the Hierophants' base, next to his tiny little feet, two checkered banners. This is the same design that is behind the old one on the 10 Pents, which looks like a flag pole. Is there any written information on this pattern. Maybe to attain the levels of knowledge as show by his headwear, the Hierophant had to rise above his baser instincts. But how to explain the same pattern on the 10?

WalesWoman

Hmmm... using skills, forethought, consideration, & strategy before making a move (i.e., a chess board?)

Umbrae

From Scottish Freemasonry, monitorial EA Lecture, “…The Mosaic Pavement is emblematical of human life, checkered with good and evil…”

Abrac

A.E. Waite was Freemason and it's common knowledge that his poular Tarot deck was loaded with Masonic imagery.

Masonic lodges have black and white checkered floors, the floor representing the material plane and the colors black/white representing opposites of extreme. For Masons it's a symbol for the unpredictability, unevenness, instability, and transcience of this life. We can also see this meaning reflected in the English language when we say someone has a "checkered" past.

Robert MaCoy in his Dictionary of Freemasonry says, "Hence the lodge is furnished with mosaic work to remind us of the precariousness of our state on earth; today our feet tread in prosperity, tomorrow we totter on the uneven paths of weakness, temptation, and adversity." And, "While we tread on the mosaic, let our ideas turn to the original which it copies; and let every Mason act as the dictates of reason prompt him, to live in brotherly love."

fools_fool

Cascade

Crazy Arthur

I can't believe how much you all know. And how willingly you share it. Thank you very much.
Wizzle, I've bookmarked the great site you gave me. It will be my reward after I finish my work. I can't wait. On second thought, the dishes can!

I think I would like to have A.E. Waite over for dinner some evening.:)