How can you tell if a pip card is upside down

jhernandez

Ok question, how can we tell when a minor arcana card in upside down? The cup suits are obvious, but what about the other suits? Thanks guys

Le Fanu

Not very helpful, but if I wanted to use reversals with a historical deck I'd use the Jacques Vieville Tarot which has Bibliotheque Nationale stamp at the bottom of the cards and I'd go off that!

Debra

There are some that have a symbol to let you know. For example, the very inexpensive facsimile of the Camoin published by Thunder Bay Press has added a small blue triangle at one end of the pips. The RG tarot by Richard Gardner has a "T" at the top.

Depending on the deck, you might decide based on how the decorative foliage is oriented. Similarly, choose a direction for the Swords to point and stick with it :laugh:

However, I wouldn't read reversals in the Marseille pips. It's a modern convention applied backwards and an unnecessary complication, in my opinion.

Pet Jeffery

I agree with Debra, that reversed meanings are an unnecessary complication for the Marseille Tarot. They may even be an anachronism.

If I might suggest, old pip tarots may not be ideal for people who really like complication. Modern circular tarots, such as the Motherpeace or the Daughters of the Moon may be ideal for complication enthusiasts. Circular cards can land facing in any direction. Karen Vogel, in her "Motherpeace Tarot Guidebook", gives left and right readings, as well as reversed. Someone who really worked on it might devise eight readings for each card (based on forty-five degree variations), or twelve readings (based on thirty degree variations), or... (well, I'm sure you get the idea)...

Thinking about this may well leave you pleased to dispense with reversed meanings!

Bertrand

@lefanu : now depending on your preferences/beliefs/knowledge/superstitions the stamp may be placed upside down on certain cards.
I don't use "reversals" or "reversed" cards but I like to have my numeral cards rightside up ! To be honnest I sometimes don't notice the upsidedowness when faced with the ace and six and eight of deniers, and quite a few bâtons...

Greg Stanton

I like reading reversals, but you have to choose a deck that is marked in some way that makes it easy to discern the orientation of the card.

As LeFanu said, the Vieville has a stamp, but there are a few other decks. The Fournier Marseilles has roman numerals at the bottom of the pips, as does my favorite reading deck, the Spanish Tarot.

jhernandez

Thanks for your help guys

Thank you very much for your insight guys. I think I will not be reading upside down pip cards unless they are the court cards or aces. It seems like my TdM deck is telling me to do just that; it just feels correct. When I opened my deck and laid all of the cards out I felt that only the Major Arcana, and face cards were appropriate to be read upside down. I just wanted to get some insight. Thanks again. Once I start doing spread ill upload them. Thanks again guys.

shaveling

By the time I read this thread, jhernandez had found his way of working with the deck without the complication of all those reversals.

But I do want to note something my dear Papus said. In his Tarot of the Bohemians, he writes that one advantage of his number + suit system over the other ways of reading is that you don't have to remember a second set of meanings for reversed cards. And he specifically mentions that he's talking about all 78 cards, and not just the Trumps. The deck he recommends in that book is the Marseilles. So it looks like there has been a tradition of reading the TdM pips with reversals for a while.