How do you do a general reading?

mtnmermaid

I got asked for one today and I'm so used to doing readings for specific questions or situations I don't really know where to start.

What do you focus on in the spread if there's not a specific question, situation or issue?

I'm thinking of just pulling 5 cards, past-present-future and then an advice card and card for what the main issue in her life is now....and seeing what comes up? And if I need to pull more if she has questions or whatever.

Alta

mtnmermaid said:
I'm thinking of just pulling 5 cards, past-present-future and then an advice card and card for what the main issue in her life is now....and seeing what comes up? And if I need to pull more if she has questions or whatever.
That would work.

General readings can mean that the querent really does not have a question but would like a reading... or, wants to not have to say what they are concerned about and are hoping you will see it. The second one is obviously more frustrating for the reader.

What you suggested is a good start. Possibly make it quick and general and keep an eye on her to see if you hit any areas where she would like follow-up.

Sophie

Depends how much time you have - and if its online or live. When it's live I often do a 15/6 card Gypsy spread (5 groups of threes, with a card in the middle), which will generally isolate the issue(s) that are most relevant in the querents' life.

The one I use is this:

*********1*2*3*******

4*5*6******16****7*8*9

*******13*14*15*******
*******10*11*12*******

1/2/3 = what has just been, recent past, uppermost
4/5/6 = what is now, main issue(s)
7/8/9 = what the querent can change or influence (advice)
10/11/12 = what the querent cannot change or influence (outer influences)
13/14/15 = outcome
16: summary and opening (this can be either an insistent reminder of something important, or the next step to take).

I find it useful. But it's too large for online readings (at least, the way I write them up!).

As for how I read the 3 cards on each line - pretty much as described by Robert Place in his general book on Tarot - as a general interplay between the three to decide the dominant energy and direction.

mtnmermaid

Thanks for explaining why people ask for general readings, that helps a lot. The gypsy spread looks interesting but a bit complicated for me. I'll keep it in mind though, thank you. I think for this one I better stick to simple and see where it goes after that. I've got a couple favorite spreads I can use for specific questions if she wants to go further.

starrystarrynight

Marion said:
or, wants to not have to say what they are concerned about and are hoping you will see it. The second one is obviously more frustrating for the reader.
I had one like this last week, and I am still trying to find out what he really wanted to know, as he told me my reading was "off" (it was online, so I couldn't ask any questions as I went along).

Now, I can accept if my reading interpretation of the cards was incorrect; however, the cards did not reconcile to anything he later told me. It was as if the reading was for someone else entirely--OR answering a question he didn't like the answer to.

Brock Johnson

When I get a request for a general reading, I just try for an overall on the persons life. Whether it be past-present-future or otherwise.

Brock

rainwolf

I think your spread sounds good. 3 general comment cards could also work, but I don't always feel comfortable using an open spread for someone new, if that is that case. There isn't any question they have? There's always one I can think of...no matter how small.

Fatima

You can do spreads such a the Astrological that gives you are very god overview of a person's life, like a snapshot as of today.
Also, using regular playing cards or an oracle (such as the Lenormand) you can do a full blown reading, all 36 cards and that gives you also a good view of where a person is going wih their life.

F.

mtnmermaid

Thanks! She liked it.

Thanks everyone! I did my 5 card reading and just kept it short and sweet with the things that really jumped out to me about the cards, and I just got an email back from her asking to more into depth.

She asked for a general because she's never had a reading and she was skeptical, wanted to see if I'd pick up on anything. Guess I did. :)