how do you read non-art pips

gorgeousbutterfly

like Marseilles? do you just go by what you know about the number and suit? how can this be read intuitively?

Northwind

gorgeousbutterfly said:
like Marseilles? do you just go by what you know about the number and suit? how can this be read intuitively?
Dear GorgeousButterfly ~

The same principles apply. I think that intuition is when we know something right away without having to go through any rational thinking or deductive process. The symbols in Tarot images, whether they are illustrated or not, sometime evoke that knowledge, in a way that we may not understand a all. Quite often it happens in a flash but then the human mind has to order it and put it into words. However, the flash or understanding is usually something we just would not have known without the stimulus of the question and the cards.

Having read many of these threads thoroughly I really think that many people misunderstand the real meaning of intuitive and, instead, read insightfully rather than intuitively.

By that I mean, they know the symbols and the stories of the cards and can relate those very coherently, often, to the question. But that that is not what I personally understand as intuitive reading.

Having said that, non-illustrated minors do have symbols which we learn. The Marseille, for example has suits, colours, its own iconography, numerology and history. If one has a good grasp of all this, and if one is good at making connections, one can usually relate that knowledge very accurately to the question. The more practice we have and the more we know, the quicker that understanding comes to us when we look at a throw.

However, sometimes the conscious mind sees these cards and out of nowhere will come an amazing understanding. Same thing happens with many other decks, and sometimes with art, stones, sounds, experiences, problems and so on.

Why don’t you get a Marseille, if you haven’t one already and play it with it for a bit? There are various threads here about ways to begin reading non-scenic minor cards. When you get your deck, lay it all out on the floor and see what it says to you. Unbeknown to yourself you probably have a lot of the knowledge you need to understand. It is simply looking at things differently.

You'll look at the suits, the colours, the plants (unique to Marseille), the way characters face, the facial impressions and many other aspects of the images to make your impressions.

Good luck!

thinbuddha

I relate them back to the deck that I know best (Thoth).

Sulis

gorgeousbutterfly said:

Hi Gorgeousbutterfly,

This is a bit like asking 'how do you read with pictoral pips?' - If you ask 10 different readers, you're likely to get 10 different answers because everyone reads tarot differently and no one way is the right way.

I do a number of things when I read with Marseille decks:

The first thing I do is look at the image and see if it 'says' anything to me (this is what I term intuitive reading). Sometimes something about the image will just mean something in relation to the question, in the same way that a part of a picture will jump out at you in a pictoral minor.
For example:
A few weeks ago I was a bit pissed off with my husband and I asked my Hadar Marseilles what would happen if I was grouchy with him... I pulled the 3 de Coupes / 3 of Cups (I've attached an image).
This card showed me the 2 of us as the 2 cups at the bottom of the card with the third cup being held up by the foliage (the third cup, I took to represent our daughter).
I saw that if we didn't work together and get on in a loving way, the foliage would move apart and the third cup would drop onto the flame-like spikeyness below..... I decided not to be grouchy and to put this behind us, for the sake of the little one.... I'd never have got that from 3 ladies dancing.

Other factors I look at are the number and the suit element and how these work together.
For example with the 4 of Cups - 4 is the number of solidity and stability and the elelment of Cups is water which likes to flow - so 4 and water may not always go well together, the water may become stagnant resulting in boredom.... see what I mean?

Another thing you can do is to see each Minor Arcana card as an aspect of it's numerically corresponding Major - so all the Aces are related to the Magician, all the 2s are related to the High Priestess etc.

That's what I do anyway.

Hope that's helped - I've found that my readings seem a lot freer when I'm not trying to make the answer fit an image... I much prefer using non-pictoral decks.

Attachments

• 3 de coupes.jpg
    3 de coupes.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 92

goddesscarlie

Thanks Sulis, I've often wondered how it works myself, and now I see that it works much the same. I think it has made me a but more confident to buy decks I like but have no pictures on the pips. It might be a freeing experience - as in, it might make me trust my instincts more as I read. :)