How "established" is the couple in the 2 of Cups?

Krix

Just a general question to see the experiences others have with this card in terms of referring to a relationship.

I have come to the conclusion it is about a connection, but how established is that connection? Does the card appear for long term relationships that are years old, or just newly formed ones? What about if two people have known each other for awhile but are only friends? Is there a transition occurring?

I ask because this card keeps appearing for me in spreads in relation to a certain individual, whom I've known for a few years but we are only friends. He does have a girlfriend (about a year now) so i don't know if this card is reflecting our friendship or his relationship.

This card was one of several cards (not a one card reading).
Any insight is appreciated!

Barleywine

I usually see the Twos as "movement toward a connection," not necessarily its consummation. Depending on where it sits in the spread, I consider the 2 of Cups to show any kind of approach to an emotional union (for example, it might be anticipation of a "homecoming" rather than a "budding romance"). If it's in the past, it could show such a union that has gone stale because it's basically on "auto-pilot" and has worked into a rut. Not long ago, while reading a tarot book, I came across the idea that the 2 of Cups reflects "the beginning of love," which matches my viewpoint.

Krix

I usually see the Twos as "movement toward a connection," not necessarily its consummation. Depending on where it sits in the spread, I consider the 2 of Cups to show any kind of approach to an emotional union (for example, it might be anticipation of a "homecoming" rather than a "budding romance"). If it's in the past, it could show such a union that has gone stale because it's basically on "auto-pilot" and has worked into a rut. Not long ago, while reading a tarot book, I came across the idea that the 2 of Cups reflects "the beginning of love," which matches my viewpoint.

Interesting Barleywine, always great to hear your input. I asked because some tarot resources have this card as the "soul mate" card, but I don't see it as such. Twos are early in their suits so I am also inclined to see it as beginning stages. Just as a side note, the positions were present and future leaning, not past related. Thanks!

Barleywine

Interesting Barleywine, always great to hear your input. I asked because some tarot resources have this card as the "soul mate" card, but I don't see it as such. Twos are early in their suits so I am also inclined to see it as beginning stages. Just as a side note, the positions were present and future leaning, not past related. Thanks!

If any of the (RWS) Cups cards make me think "soul-mate" (to the limited extent that I subscribe to the idea), it would be the 10 of Cups because it shows the fullness of shared emotional experience having withstood the test of time (at least so far) and happily renewed itself through the children. Although it's sometimes seen as "too much of a good thing," nothing in the card itself points to decay. The 2 of Cups seems more like "putting out feelers."

Krix

If any of the (RWS) Cups cards make me think "soul-mate" (to the limited extent that I subscribe to the idea), it would be the 10 of Cups because it shows the fullness of shared emotional experience having withstood the test of time (at least so far) and happily renewed itself through the children. Although it's sometimes seen as "too much of a good thing," nothing in the card itself points to decay. The 2 of Cups seems more like "putting out feelers."

In one instance the 2 of Cups appeared by the Empress as advice, which I took to mean that perhaps some Undeveloped aspect of the cups card had yet to be fully nurtured and grown. Again pointing to beginning stages. Thanks again.

Grizabella

Actually, there's no such thing as a soulmate card traditionally. I know some deck creators in recent years have created decks and included their version of one, though.

The 2 of Cups in a lot of decks show a caduseus (sp?) above and between the couple pictured on the card. That's the symbol for healing like doctors and nurses would wear. It can mean a lot of things but I usually see it with a friend or relationship situation that's been healed after a disagreement or sometimes it's saying that the relationship is "good medicine" for the couple, so to speak. Like friends who just always feel so much better about their life once they've spoken to or spent time with each other.

It can mean a situation where two people have met and seemed to form a positive aura around the meeting for one reason or another, and sometimes it's meant that the people meet and there are sparks between them.

If I were to consider a reading to be saying something about a "soul-mate", I'd have to see more than just one card. It would need 2 of Cups, Lovers maybe, and another card or two. Maybe 10 of Cups or 4 of Wands or the Chariot----I normally don't read just one card at a time to indicate major things like that.

Krix

Actually, there's no such thing as a soulmate card traditionally. I know some deck creators in recent years have created decks and included their version of one, though.

The 2 of Cups in a lot of decks show a caduseus (sp?) above and between the couple pictured on the card. That's the symbol for healing like doctors and nurses would wear. It can mean a lot of things but I usually see it with a friend or relationship situation that's been healed after a disagreement or sometimes it's saying that the relationship is "good medicine" for the couple, so to speak. Like friends who just always feel so much better about their life once they've spoken to or spent time with each other.

It can mean a situation where two people have met and seemed to form a positive aura around the meeting for one reason or another, and sometimes it's meant that the people meet and there are sparks between them.

If I were to consider a reading to be saying something about a "soul-mate", I'd have to see more than just one card. It would need 2 of Cups, Lovers maybe, and another card or two. Maybe 10 of Cups or 4 of Wands or the Chariot----I normally don't read just one card at a time to indicate major things like that.

Thanks Grizabella... So the 2 of Cups appears for you when it's a newer relationship or when it's about friends who just seem to "get" each other no matter how long they've known each other?