How is the card stock determined?

Zephyros

When discussing decks here the weight of the paper used is usually at least mentioned, and for some people it is a "make or break" issue for a deck. I can understand that at least in part, since some decks really have an awful feel to them, whether they are too thin or too thick or too slick, etc. Self-published decks are usually printed with the feel and weight of the paper taken into account.

But if anyone here has published a deck with a major publisher like USGames or Lo Scarabeo I'm interested in knowing if the deck creators are at all consulted in this aspect of the process. Are they shown proofs, shown a kind of package deal in which they get this much royalties for such and such a quality of printing, weight, packaging, etc? How is it actually done? Can they choose cheaper options and thus increase their profits?

Has anyone ever been surprised by how good/bad a printing came out?

Mind that I'm asking mainly about large publishers, not smaller "artisan" houses like MRP or self-publishing.

danieljuk

aside from self printing, I am not sure how much say they have at all, there is many artists/ creators who have honestly posted on AT and said what was eventually published was sadly not their vision. I would be interested if they are consulted on the packaging and card stock but I think the publishing houses are interested in making the most money for the least spend! You rarely get linen stock and often either get flimsy stock or that plasticated material :(

Babalon Jones

This is a great question and I hope some with first hand experiences reply!
My guess is that it probably varies considerably by publisher, and maybe even within publishers there are factors that determine how much input artists get and no one standard. But, this is just a guess based on remembrances of things various mass market published artists have said, and my memory isn't that clear. I think some have mentioned having input, others not.

Zephyros

Thanks. Your question in your deck thread was actually my inspiration in asking here. Some publishers seem to have trends, like USG which, I guess, got a good deal on slick lamination and are using it like it's about to go out of fashion. But something like the Hermetic, which as slippery as it can get, probably doesn't have much input from Dowson, its creator. His estate probably receives proceeds, although I can't guess how or how much.

This may actually be a "workers rights" thing. A monopoly like USG can leverage any deck into making the most money for it, printing it at any old printer they have a deal with while producing sub-quality products and giving the artists very little in the way of input or proceeds.

I would guess there's no "Association for the Fair Treatment of Tarot Artists" but maybe some kind of union would force these huge multi-nationals into dealing with artists more fairly. It would also be good for customers as they would get decks of higher quality.

And mods, if this thread would be better served in the Creation forum, please feel free to move it.