How Many?

Kosjitov

I recently came across someone who was offering divination services, and claimed to be "specialized in" 35 different types. In the same brochure, it had them listed as starting at age five.

So... Let's assume they are 75 years old. That gives them 2 years to study each method(and upkeep all of their previous forms).

Doable? Sound like a fraud? Is it "too much"? If it is too much, what seems a more reasonable number range of methods a single person can/should be specialized in?

Curtis Penfold

I'm kind of just beginning this stuff, but my opinion is that divination methods flow into each other. When one learns one form of divination, it becomes easier to learn another, and then even easier to learn another.

It's kind of like learning new languages. The first other language is the hardest. The second is easier. The third is even easier, even if it seems unrelated to the others. Your brain just gets used to learning them.

However, 35 seems like a lot. I'd imagine a person usually specializes in certain forms of divination, while being aware of how to use other forms.

tarotbear

Could you list for us what the 35 systems they claim to use are? I'd be interested in seeing what they offer.

I don't even know if I know the names of 35 different systems!

Kosjitov

TB, i had the SAME reaction. From the brochure, they offer typical stuff- tarot, clairvoyant, tea leaf, palm, numerology. The list ends there... And I have half a mind to call and ask about the other types of divination offered. Not sure how you consider this, but the brochure lists reiki work, psychic massage, crystal therapy, crystal "consultation" (what to wear or avoid), aura, chakra and energy purification.

I confess to feeling like sometimes people are "padding" their resumes by tacking on a sh*t ton of buzz words, and possibly.... Misrepresenting their expansive interests? I mean, how proficient do you think you were after two years of just ONE method of divination? How many do you think you could safely be proficient and useful with at one time without bullshitting other people in regards to your capacity to help? (Which leads me to ask the same person: you talk to angels, spirit guides, and totem spirits... That is alot of ground to cover and not all from the same faith denominations. How does that work?)

More questions than answers!

tarotbear

Let's see:

I am really good with Tarot (or so they tell me!). I can apply that knowledge to cartomancy but Tarot is much easier for me!

I used to do crystal layouts on people, so I have some knowledge in that regard altho I have not touched that stuff in years. I have a lot of crystal wands.

Someone gave me a handmade set of Runes and the book to go with them... nice but tarot is my passion.

I collect Tea Leaf Reading cups (there are such things!) and did some research into it, but never enough to claim 'Let me Read your tea leaves!'

I find Numerology fun - but it's still connected to tarot for me.

I known a modicum about massage.

I don't know squat about Astrology, I Ching, or reading the Bones.

I have heard the words/terms : reiki work, psychic massage, crystal therapy, crystal "consultation" (what to wear or avoid), aura, chakra and energy purification - but I've also heard the words 'Kung Fu', 'Martial Arts,' and 'sushi chef' - but that doesn't make me a 'practioner' of them! :bugeyed:

So - lets see here - I 'know' SIX things; two well, two O.K., and two very little.

I'd say someone is out to impress people who are easily impressed....

DownwardSpiral

I would also be curious to see a list of these 35 methods. LOL how would you know which one to choose? I can see it now..... this person starts you out with one thing and then recommends 5 others you "absolutely need".

I'm not sure how many would be too many but I do agree alot of this stuff flows together.

I wonder if individuals can be listed with the BBB?

Apollonia

I recently came across someone who was offering divination services, and claimed to be "specialized in" 35 different types. In the same brochure, it had them listed as starting at age five.

So... Let's assume they are 75 years old. That gives them 2 years to study each method(and upkeep all of their previous forms).

Doable? Sound like a fraud? Is it "too much"? If it is too much, what seems a more reasonable number range of methods a single person can/should be specialized in?

Definitely doable. I can't vouch for the person whose notice you saw, but after reading your post, I made a list breaking down all the different types of work I offer to my clients (including energy work such as Reiki), and in just a couple of minutes I got to 22 without even thinking hard about it. There are other things I can do, but these 22 are what I would call my current areas of specialization.

It may also depend on one's definition of "specialized." For me, it means a method in which I am confident, competent, and experienced.

I started studying metaphysical subjects in 1990 at age 36, and I'm still learning new methods of divination and energy work, so I don't see 35 as at all out of the question, especially for someone who started young.