how to make chamomile/calendula oil?

temperlyne

Lately I've been using a mixture of chamomile and calendula oils to reduce skin inflammation and irritation and it is working miracles for my skin. The downside is that the product I'm using als contains some pore clogging ingredients which I'd rather avoid.
I would like to make my own oil but don't really know how to go about it and hope some of you can help answer my questions.

I am thinking of using either sweet almond or macademia oil as a base would that work?
Also which is the best method for this, cold or hot?
Or is this different for both herbs?
If so can I mix the two oils?
And which parts of the herbs should I use?

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Bev

I'd have to look up the two herbs you mentioned to find the most effective way to make an oil infusion. (You would not be able to make an essential oil without some rather expensive equipment.) An infused oil would not have the same "punch" as the essential.

I would recommend purchasing the essential oils separately and using them to create your own product, rather than trying to create the oil. You can add the essential oils to a carrier oil to make your own blend, or they can be added to unscented creams and lotions.

Bev

Grigori

I'd recommend you buy the Chamomile and Calendula essential oils already made, and get one that is at the more expensive end of the spectrum (they are both fairly cheap oils, so it shoudn't be too expensive). Your using them for a therapeutic use, so the cheap ones that are high in water/solvents will be a waste of money. (They are only useful for the pretty smell)

Use the macadamia oil as a base. Its better for daily use and is very healing. The sweet almond is better for very dry skin (although it is good for inflammation, but in you case I'd avoid it). Make sure it is cold pressed, and stored in a light proof container, or dark glass. Exposing the oils to heat and light, will oxidise them, and they will be less effective at best, or damaging at worst.

You could put around 5-10 drops each of Chamomile and Calendula into a 100mL of base oil, and then use a small amount daily after cleansing. (Make sure to use a soap free cleanser of course). Try maybe 5 drops of each each first, and see how strong the scent is. You can add more if it is still OK. They are both gentle smell, so you should be OK.

Chamomile is really good for inflammation and irritated skin (especially if there is redness). Calendula is for healing, and good for damaged skin.

PS this post came out very bossy I think. Please forgive that, it was unintentional :)

Cascade

To make a herbal oil, first cut or crush the herb finely, cover it with the macademia oil and put in a clear glass container. Put this in the sun or leave in a warm place (winters, I use the water heater closet) for 2-3 weeks, shaking the container daily. After that time, filter the liquid through a cloth to remove all the oil and let it stand for a bit, as there'll be some water in the liquid that'll settle on the bottom. Then decant into a dark glass container and store the extracted oil. Buy dried calendula and chamomile at local herb store and drink tea 2-3 times a day. Helps unclog pores and clears skin from the inside. tastes soothing too. Then take the infusuion ball remains and make a poultice for the inflammation directly. Calundula infusions are Wonderful for sunburn. I use this method for arnica rubs, too. add a pinch of cayenne for muscle rubs.:)

anion-

My two cents:
There are two methods to get what you want, a start to finish self crafted product or something a bit quicker using essentail oils.
The infusion method - as detailed by Cascade- with whole (preferably fresh) herbs is wonderful if you have a garden and or and time. Otherwise, I recommend essentail oils for ease of preparation and consistant end product. Just my preferance mind you.

Keep in mind, there are two varieties of Camomile - German and Roman. The generally prefered type for essential oil is German and the oil is quite expensive, but easy to identify due to it's dark blue colour (caused by azulenes contained in the oil). It is possible however to buy this oil in small 2 ml qauntities from some retailers which greatly reduces the price (15ml of German Camomile oil can be well over 60 USD depending on where it is bought). You really don't need much to make a largish batch of skin oil or cream so I would recommend purchasing in smaller qauntities if you decide to go with essential oils. The shock to the pocket book can be very bad for your stress levels!

Either way you go, I recommend Macadamia nut oil for the carrier oil.

temperlyne

Thnx guys!
I think I'll go for the option of using essential oils and mixing them with the macademia oil. It sounds easier and more fool proof. I do like the idea of growing my own herbs and making an infusion out of them though, I might try that too in the future.