How to move from one card usage to using spreads?

LilySage

I am kind of new (joined today) so forgive me if my question is dumb.

The way I've been using the Tarot so far is by asking a question while shuffling the cards and then taking one card out. So far it's been enough, but I feel that I might get more meaning if I use more than one card.

So how do I go about into expanding my card usage from one card to several?

- How do I pick a spread?
-Do I take one card out, read its meaning, ask a follow up question and take another card out? One by one?
- If I do it that way, do I put the first card back in the deck, so its always 78 cards I am choosing from when shuffling?
- Do I need to pick a well known spread or can I make up my own?
- Do I need to tell the cards that "now I am going to get a card for Past position, now for Future position, now for this and that, etc". I mean, the cards need to "know" the order and meaning for each position in the spread, no?
- Basically, how does it work technically? :)

Yes, probably a really dumb question, as I said, but I really have no clue.

dancing_moon

Welcome to AT! :)

The questions you ask aren't dumb, they're actually really good.

In a nutshell, reading cards is a matter of personal preference, so it'll probably take you quite a bit of experimenting to determine your own style.

- How do I pick a spread?
It'll depend on your question and/or what information you want to know. Many spreads are actually a compilation of questions related to one topic, so you just need to see what questions you'd like to be answered, and that's it.

-Do I take one card out, read its meaning, ask a follow up question and take another card out? One by one?
- If I do it that way, do I put the first card back in the deck, so its always 78 cards I am choosing from when shuffling?
When you're reading a spread, you normally lay out all the required cards first, and then read them. Some people lay them out backs up and then turn them over one by one, but I find it distracting and I like to see the whole picture at once, so I lay them out face up.

- Do I need to pick a well known spread or can I make up my own?
You can pick a well-known, not so well-known or unknown spread, or make up your own.

- Do I need to tell the cards that "now I am going to get a card for Past position, now for Future position, now for this and that, etc". I mean, the cards need to "know" the order and meaning for each position in the spread, no?
It doesn't really matter either way. The cards will 'know' the order once you've picked the spread.

- Basically, how does it work technically? :)
You think about your question/area of interest and pick a spread. Or you look through the spread index, look through some spreads that caught your attention and find one or several you'd like to try out. Then shuffle, lay out the required number of cards in the required pattern and start reading.

First you go through the positions and read one card at a time. And then try to tie them in together. Are there conflicts or harmony between the 'how he feels' and 'how she feels' positions? Is the 'your goal' position in conflict with the 'your dream' position, or do they enhance each other? etc.

You can post your readings along with your interpretations here, and other members can suggest some alternative ideas for you. :) You can also see how other members have their readings commented and see if you can come up with some ideas for their spreads.

Good luck and happy learning! :)

Marirowana

Welcome

That is actually something interesting to think about! I know it isn't done that way, when you lay your 2nd card you have only 77 cards to choose from. That way, you can read the cards as a combination, you can see the interactions between the cards.

I never thought of the option of putting cards back, so you have all possible outcomes still available, instead of being limited bij your previous cards. Thanks for asking LilySage!

And welcome at AT!

FLizarraga

Good question, LilySage! And welcome to the AT forums!

IMHO, a spread is basically a well-formulated question. Once the spread is set, the cards will answer.

You will found hundreds, if not thousands, of fabulous spreads in these forums. You can also make up your own. There's a great book and set of cards that help you do exactly that, Tierney Sadler's Deck of a Thousand Spreads, but the basic knowledge you need, you already have, and learning at the forums won't cost you a penny. The reading circles here are great practice, too.

You can also wing a reading, basically asking a question, laying a card, and then seeking further clarification.

Personally, I have found that three-card spreads work very well (they can mean past-present-future, you-the relationship-the other person, or whatever you decide they mean), and then you can pull as many extra cards you need for clarification. I rarely get to seven when I'm reading for someone --usually all I need to know is in those first three cards.

LilySage

Thanks guys! Its all been very helpful!