I have a question here

freshyoyo

First, I want to say thanks.

There are really many great and interesting spreads here. I have read a lot and note it in my computer. But since I am a beginner of Tarot. I am eager to know some classic spreads, or some old mysterious spreads, some antiquated authorized spreads. There must be. So please tell me.

Thanks a lot and I really appreciate your kind help.
:)

freshyoyo

Although I really crave for a book, your help is really useful.

Thanks and I will read your links carefully.

P.S. There are so many spreads. I will try to resaerch them.

maria42airam

This is the best book I've seen for Spreads:

Power Tarot : More than 100 spreads that give specific answers to your most important questions by Trish Macgregor, Phyllis Vega

HudsonGray

I think Freshyoyo was looking for historical spreads?

I'm not sure how far back ANY spreads go, other than the Celtic Cross was from the start of the 1900's. Historically I don't know if anyone recorded anything from prior to that. It would have had to be spreads that worked with Marseille type decks, though, as that's pretty much all that was around before the 1900's.

xviiirkna

HudsonGray said:
I'm not sure how far back ANY spreads go, other than the Celtic Cross was from the start of the 1900's. Historically I don't know if anyone recorded anything from prior to that.

While I'm no historian, I do know that Etteilla had developed a rather complex spread based on astrological attributions which would have been in the last half of the 18th century. James Revak presents this method on his website:

http://www.villarevak.org/astro/part2_1.html

I'm not sure that this is something that would be of interest to freshyoyo, but you might do a search on James' site, it's possible he might have some other reference to early Tarot spreads.

Blessings,
Sally Anne

Umbrae

There is a historical precedence for a three-card spread.

The earliest recording of a three-unit, past present future spread is from Chapter One of "Germania" by Tacitus, written in 98 C.E. The Units were Runes, specifically the Elder Futhark, as opposed to Tarot.

The standard position labels are Past-Present-Future (or probable outcome) also known as the PPF. Some folks insert other meanings to the positions, Body-Mind-Spirit, Option one-Situation-Option two. The handy thing is that this is an extremely fluid spread – just about any three reasonable labels can be used in the three positions. I usually use:
1. The Present, or how it is
2. The Shroud, or that which obscures reality
3. Guidance.

Nothing is more historical, or mysterious than a well done three card spread.

The Celtic Cross was not ‘invented’ until roughly 1910.

freshyoyo

Well~~~~~~

HudsonGray is right and I really want to know some historical spreads. But I found them complex after reading your posts carefully.

After all , I was born in an oriental culture. I will try to acquaint myself with westen culture.

Many thanks and Best wishes for you all.