I jsut saw a post about doing your own readings, ...

lilwinky

I just saw a post about doing your own readings, ...

which looked interesting to me!
What I would like to know is in regards to reading for others, I was once told from a "tarot reader" that the person who gets the reading should at least touch the cards, as in splitting the decks, or maybe shuffling once or twice, but, then the reader has full control. What is correct?
I also recall seeing on another letter, maybe not here, but, that readers don't necessarily want the person that is being read, to touch their cards, because of their energies left in the cards....so what would you say to this, because I have been thinking about this one for months!

lilwinky

Rachey

Hi lilwinky :) Welcome to AT

There isn't a right or wrong answer, it is really down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.

Personally I don't think the sitter has to touch the cards for there energies to be their. I do quite a few readings for people online on here and through emails, I don't think it makes a difference to the read whether they touch the cards or not.

I've done a few reads face to face mainly for family, I shuffle and cut I don't ask them too (mainly because I don't want they shuffling to damage my cards and bend them) I may ask them to say when to stop shuffling when they 'feel' ready.

It's completely up to you what way you choose to go with it :)

Annabelle

Hi lilwinky :)

I agree with Rachey . . . there's no right or wrong answer. There are plenty of successful, effective readers who will almost always ask the querent to shuffle and cut, and there are plenty of other successful, effective readers who do not want their querents to touch the cards at all.

Personally, I always ask the querent to shuffle and cut. I want them to be involved in the reading, and I also want to encourage them to be silent for a moment and truly focus on their question. And I'm not too worried about the cards themselves (in terms of keeping them pristine or anything) because I have separate decks for reading for others versus reading for myself.

PlatinumDove

Agree with the above. There's no right or wrong. I do online readings, and I haven't seen anything wrong in the readings I've given where the Querent hasn't touched the cards,

Demon Goddess

I also agree about the querant not needing to touch the card.

In fact, I often do readings for myself as if someone, who has no idea that I am turning cards for them, is the querant.

That said,

When I'm doing a live reading, I offer the querant the opportunity to shuffle or cut as they feel necessary.

So do, some don't.

By the same token... Until I am sure that a new deck is in tune with me, NOBODY touches those cards.

HTH

Piproach

The majority of readings I have done have been face to face, however, I have done 'remote' readings by post and email and have been able to achieve the same level of understanding. I think if you have a good connection with your cards and equally a good level of concentration then it doesn't make that much difference.

Hel

I agree that the querant doesn't have to touch the cards, online readings work very well for me too. But when I have the querant in front of me I think it's good to let them shuffle the cards, and draw the first one, but not at all necessary.