importance of sequence

BrightEye

When reading a row of cards, do you think the sequence is important? For example:

Devil - 2 of Cups - 2 of Pentacles

I would read them as the need to find a balance between coming on too strongly and allowing love or friendship to blossom. I think though that the 2 of Pentacles would be better placed between the other two cards, no? Do you think the sequence changes the meaning?

Budding Lotus

Hello

It depends on the layout as well as how you wish to ead them.

If your wish to combine all 3 cards into a singular meaning then no, but if they are in an untitled layout & to be read from one side to the other then yes as they will be progressive.

Lotus

BrightEye

Budding Lotus said:
If your wish to combine all 3 cards into a singular meaning then no
That's whatI usually try to do. Thanks.

Nisha

When doing a general 3-card reading, I put the weight on the central card as the main situation with the two side cards as influences or concerns on the central situation. So for me, the sequence does matter and I wouldn't rearrange them.

For example, with 2 of Cups in the middle the partnership/relationship is the situation. If the 2 of Pentacles was in the middle then adaptability is the core situation. The interpretation of the Devil in the context of relationship would be a little different than that of the context of adaptability. The central card provides the main context, the core of the reading, and influences the way I interpret the cards around it.

Ultimately, it depends on how you approach the 3-card general reading and what methods you're comfortable with. Go with what works for you. :)

~Nisha

BrightEye

How do you lay them out then? 1 - 2 -3 with 2 as your cental card?

Or 2 - 1 - 3?

rwcarter

When I was teaching myself Elemental Dignities, I would take the same three cards (ABC) and also interpret them as BCA and CAB with the central card as the focus and the two flanking cards as modifiers. The interpretations usually were different for all three groupings.

If you're only getting a general sense of what the cards are trying to tell you, then the order is only as important as you make it. If you lay the cards out as ABC but C catches your eye first, then base your interpretation around C.

As Nisha said though, do what feels right for you.

Rodney

SunChariot

BrightEye said:
When reading a row of cards, do you think the sequence is important? For example:

Devil - 2 of Cups - 2 of Pentacles

I would read them as the need to find a balance between coming on too strongly and allowing love or friendship to blossom. I think though that the 2 of Pentacles would be better placed between the other two cards, no? Do you think the sequence changes the meaning?

Yes I would think changing the sequence very often changes the meaning. However, imho if you sense the cards are in the wrong order and they are meant to be read in a different order, then go with that. If that is what your feelings tell you then they are most likely right.

Babs

Nisha

BrightEye said:
How do you lay them out then? 1 - 2 -3 with 2 as your cental card?

Or 2 - 1 - 3?

1 - 2 -3 with 2 as the central card and I always read that one first. I have considered laying them down 2 - 1 - 3 but it still doesn't feel quite right.

As always, trust what works for you and keep doing it. :)

~Nisha