Indifference

earth mama

I had a thought today. I know a lot of spreads and readings involve other people. Finding out where you stand with someone or how someone feels about you for instance. But what if that person is completely indifferent to you? What if they honestly don't care one way or the other. What card could signify that?

psychicbody

A combination would do it, for me. I'd say 4/Cups with 9/Wands.

MercyMe

The Fool could indicate indifference, like a "Whatever, I don't care" attitude.

The four of cups could indicate an apathy or disregard for an offer of friendship, love, or connection.

Two of swords may indicate a reluctance to even look at something or someone, or entertain the idea.

Grizabella

In a dating situation where the couple has had sex but then nothing ever developed beyond that, the 6 of pentacles has said to me that there was indifference and that one of the people involved had just felt kind of sorry for the other or obligated to go through the motions of feeling more than they did.

Apollonia

I've had the RWS Five of Pentacles come up where the person who was still interested was still sort of despondently trailing after the beloved, who was moving on without them and not focused on them at all.

Al Si'ra

That is an issue i always wonder about..

I think this is one of the situations you really need to put your intuition into and a little background info. would help too..4 of cups 9 of wands 2 of swords..there is a denial in all those and yes it is certain that one of the parties do not want to get involved BUT from my own experiences i can say that those cards can as well indicate the denial of feelings...so there are actually feelings present and even maybe deep but they are not really being taken into consideration-because of some issue something...so rather than saying the other party does not care,i prefer to say one party does not want to be IN the relationship..

So i think the only way to tell,is to use your intuition at this point to see if really the person does not care about the other,but the cards would tell if a party wants to get involved or how much they want to give of themselves but i don't think a card by only itself would tell if somebody cares or not..that is always a mystery ..but that's of course only my opinion...
Yet the Fool would somewhat indicate that one party is living in the moment;maybe air-headed and so might not give attention to the relationship or another person..but again it MIGHT not mean that the fool does not care..he is just paying attention to something else maybe?

8 of pentacles is another card which; in my readings; meant that one party is really too busy to look into the emotional area...8 of cups-hermit...the list can go on..cards portraying a wandering process can mean that the person is more interested in finding themselves;rather than investing into a relationship..

i think it makes a great difference..to be able to see what is being rejected-the feelings-the person-or only the offer?Or all of them..

Sunburst

I think the 4 of swords, or the Hanged Man, or even Justice might show indifference... or at least indecision... I'm not sure anyone in a relationship is really completely indifferent.

Maybe if person A has noticed person B, but hasn't even spoken to him/her, and wants to know if person B likes person A... I suppose there could be indifference there. In that case, I think one of the "non-emotional" cards would show up, and you could use your intuition to read that the person isn't really interested.

Sunburst

Dolphin_Dreamer

I can't really say there are specific cards... I mean often it is a look at the overall spread and then reading the cards for the meaning, because not always can you 'judge a book by it's cover'. Sometimes it's literally "in" the cards, like in the cards they are always relating to someone or something else rather than the querent and there are no cards like cups or cards don't support an answer to say that what they want is tru. If the cards are clearly leading you in a different direction than you may not see specific cards that say that but rather cards clearly pointing to, for instance, that the querent already knows the answer and was hoping you'd tell them different...