Instinct and Tarot Disagree

balenciaga

What do you do with information you get from tarot that is completely opposite from what your intincts and your conscious brain think about a person or situation? For example, you think you know a person well, your gut and your brain are in agreement - this person is trustworthy and good, but then tarot throws in a monkey wrench and says, No this person is untrustwothy, manipulative, otherwise not a good person, don't trust - what do you do? I mean, which interp is correct - tarot's or your instincts?

The Mathemagician

balenciaga said:
What do you do with information you get from tarot that is completely opposite from what your intincts and your conscious brain think about a person or situation? For example, you think you know a person well, your gut and your brain are in agreement - this person is trustworthy and good, but then tarot throws in a monkey wrench and says, No this person is untrustwothy, manipulative, otherwise not a good person, don't trust - what do you do? I mean, which interp is correct - tarot's or your instincts?
If it was me, this is what I might do.

I'd accept the Tarot indicated what you described. I'd keep my eye open toward this friend in interactions with me and others, especially others as that would remove some personal bias. Does your friend earn trust? Is she good? How does she treat others? Does she manipulate?

Here's another way to look at it. Are you lavishly giving trust to your friend beyond what is healthy and appropriate? Do you look at her as a god? Maybe it's a matter of putting just a little more reality into your friendship, which can make it richer. There are people whom I'd trust with my life, but the number is small. Is this friend worthy of the trust you give her?

For me, Tarot often prompts me to think of things in ways I'd not done in the past. That the Tarot has shown you a contrarian view of your friend I find a good thing, because it suggests that you should look at how things are, not how you might imagine them to be.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Lleminawc

balenciaga said:
I don't think you can separate the two quite so cleanly. There are no cards which say, unambiguously, "person X is manipulative and untrustworthy" - rather it's your reading of a particular card sequence, conditioned in part by your instincts.

MareSaturni

If your gut feeling already 'knows', why do you ask the tarot? If you asked, probably you ain't that sure.

But now that you've got two answers, it's a matter of choice. Karma won't punish you because you didn't follow what the tarot said - the cards let you know something you might not have noticed, but it's your choice to do something about it...or no.

For how long have you known this friend? Sometimes, when we have just met someone, whe think they are the nicest people ever. But time passes and it shows us that it might not be exactly like we thought...though it DOES NOT mean this person is unworthy your affection. We need time to be able to clearly see the good and not-so-good sides of our friends. And i believe that, in a true friendship, we do recognize what the person has that doesn't really appeals us - we just learn to accept that as a part of the other's personality.

Maybe the tarot isn't giving you such a bad picture as you describe. Maybe it's only telling you this person is not all great like you think. And it's not bad, since noone is perfect. Just helps you to avoid illusions about someone else.

Sphinxmoth

It could be a person is going to be untrustworthy, dissembling or unreliable
in some certain given situation.
No one (okay, few persons) are flawless at all times.
An extraordinary set of circumstances could make anyone behave against
their better nature.

gregory

If you asked about something you already felt you knew about (which is what your post actually suggests...) - the cards are not going to be entirely co-operative anyway..... That's a bit like when you keep asking to get the answer you wanted in the first place....

balenciaga

I need to pay attention

All true. Thank you all.

I am used to trusting my instincts, which are generally in line with what I learn from tarot. I find it most disconcerting because I believe when I read tarot cards, I am uncovering a bit of my unconscious. So then, how can I be off, I've wondered.
But yes, I could be disregarding warnings about someone I am prematurely trusting, being too quick to trust - but my gut never steered me wrong in the past, so I find it highly unusual. But I guess I am being stubborn with myself (or losing my touch!). I need to pay heed...

Thanks again.:)

balenciaga

gregory said:
If you asked about something you already felt you knew about (which is what your post actually suggests...) - the cards are not going to be entirely co-operative anyway..... That's a bit like when you keep asking to get the answer you wanted in the first place....

I think I wanted tarot to confirm what my instincts told me, my gut instincts, just to see if I was missing something - and then I pulled totally negative and surprising cards. Which threw me off because I was fully expecting a confirmation.
Thanks for the imput.

gregory

Oh I know what you mean ! I just meant - that might be what happened !