Intensive Journalism

KMilliron

I have a goal. I was going to act on it the other day but I got interrupted. I just want to know everyone's thought. I want to do some intense journalism. On the computer for easier formatting, as I have atrocious handwriting and almost always have my cards and laptop on me. Goal? One full typed page for each card in the reading. There's the "intense part," haha. Hopefully by going through the various topics for each card and really looking at how they relate to each other my overall reading performance will improve.

Opinions?

Grizabella

Or you could just write what you have for any given time and then, if it's not a full page, as other things come to you, add to it over time. My Tarot knowledge of the cards has grown and developed over a long time. I don't think I could have journaled a full page at one time. Especially not on the computer, because it takes a lot more words to fill a page than doing it longhand.

KMilliron

Or you could just write what you have for any given time and then, if it's not a full page, as other things come to you, add to it over time. My Tarot knowledge of the cards has grown and developed over a long time. I don't think I could have journaled a full page at one time. Especially not on the computer, because it takes a lot more words to fill a page than doing it longhand.

Well the computer has a couple more reasons. My handwriting size fluctuates as does the letter spacing itself. This is going to take research, and by (re)search I really mean (AT)search.

If a full page seems too much, I may just use double spacing or some such.

vee

Or you could just write what you have for any given time and then, if it's not a full page, as other things come to you, add to it over time

This seems more feasible, at least to me. Sometimes I have pages upon pages to say about a card, sometimes it's just saying one thing to me. In the latter case, if I tried to force more out of it, it would just be...forced. ;)

KMilliron

This seems more feasible, at least to me. Sometimes I have pages upon pages to say about a card, sometimes it's just saying one thing to me. In the latter case, if I tried to force more out of it, it would just be...forced. ;)

Research isn't forced to me ^-^ Not to sound too egotistical but that's one of the many things I love about myself.

vee

Maybe I'm confused--do you intend to do a one page+ write up on the cards you draw in general, or how they fit into the specific readings you do? I would have no problem writing and research about the general characteristics about a card but if I did a spread it would really vary. For example, I did a draw a few days ago and asked "What do I need to be paying attention to in my life right now?" and I drew "The Sun". I think at various stages in my life I would have thought different things, perhaps some that would involve a lot of writing, but when I drew it a few days ago and looked at the smiling baby on the card, I knew it was referring to my son. So I just wrote down my kid's name and a few thoughts about things I could do to ensure his happiness, definitely didn't take up a page.

Wendywu

I think quite a few of us have maintained a tarot journal down the years - I have a section for each card in the deck and every time I do an intensive deck study I copy all I write into the Journal. I also find that studying many different versions of the same card gives a wider viewpoint and understanding of the card. It's interesting to see how my ideas have deepened down the years.

I originally kept a paper journal but ended up scanning it into the computer at intervals :).

One thing that is useful is the 78 week card study in Using Tarot Cards - doing that study is a real learning tool. Also, the various Study Groups for the decks offer a chance to bounce ideas etc. and to expand the knowledge available on AT should the study for your particular deck not be all that widely posted on.

I used to copy readings and photographs of spreads into the journal but tbh after a couple of years I stopped. Now I would copy readings done with a new deck, but not with Ironwing.

Also, I would copy my daily draw into it, and sometimes write out a meditation that I had done with a particular card.

As you can guess, the journals are getting a tad hefty now :D

KMilliron

Maybe I'm confused--do you intend to do a one page+ write up on the cards you draw in general, or how they fit into the specific readings you do? I would have no problem writing and research about the general characteristics about a card but if I did a spread it would really vary. For example, I did a draw a few days ago and asked "What do I need to be paying attention to in my life right now?" and I drew "The Sun". I think at various stages in my life I would have thought different things, perhaps some that would involve a lot of writing, but when I drew it a few days ago and looked at the smiling baby on the card, I knew it was referring to my son. So I just wrote down my kid's name and a few thoughts about things I could do to ensure his happiness, definitely didn't take up a page.

The cards I draw and how they relate to that reading. I did something similar to this once a couple of months back, but got distracted by band duties. That was me doing three cards draw and really focusing on obscure similarities. I'm usually a very busy person, but the extra couple of minutes it took per reading were very helpful so I think I may try this.

KMilliron

One thing that is useful is the 78 week card study in Using Tarot Cards - doing that study is a real learning tool. Also, the various Study Groups for the decks offer a chance to bounce ideas etc. and to expand the knowledge available on AT should the study for your particular deck not be all that widely posted on.

I'm going to use a variety of decks, but once this is done, I may want to become more deck specific. I'd prolly start with my Necronomicon deck because I use it the most.