Interpreting 10 of Swords

Mind

Hi There

It was really interesting for me to see the Lo Scarabeo image, as the only deck I have is the Universal Waite. The UW has such an exaggerated image of 'being stabbed in the back'... not once but 10 times! It depicts a more seriously wounded individual/a bad situation or a dramatic reaction to whatever has taken place (this is my opinion, not textbook explanation.)

When I look at the other image, I see hope. Even though he seems cut off from what was/is behind him, he's looking on... towards the horizon and perhaps a better future. He's not knocked off his feet, he's not stabbed in the ear... he's survived, made it through, and I definitely feel the possibility of something better when I look at it.

I don't have a 'book' description, just a gut feeling. I would however like to know what the two swords upside down/crossing represents, from anyone who's into the symbology of the deck.

I'll keep reading the thread :)

Amanda

The UW card shows the very final point of something; i.e. you can't get any more dead than that. But, with "hitting bottom" of a situation, the only way to go is back up, as depicted by the LS card.

Thirteen

Golden Moon said:
I've been baffled and lost in how to interpret this 2 cards, They are the same, but they have different imagery. Could anyone be so kind and tell me how to interpret this 2 cards? or how they vary from one another?
They mean the same, but one is less, er, dramatically final than the other.

Remember that swords are about intellect and communication, sometimes anxieties, ill-health and such, too. Essentially, the one with the guy walking away is done with the argument/idea. No more fighting, thinking, worrying about it. Being that there are all those other swords in the ground, with a variety of different pummels suggesting different nations or allegiances (different sides to the argument or ways of seeing the idea), we get the idea that everyone else involved has already also walked away. The argument/idea has gone as far as it could go and it's dead. No one wants to discuss it or think about it any longer.

The card with the gent with 10/swords in his back says the same but much more dramatically. In this case, he got assassinated by all the others arguing the point with him and that put an end to it and his involvement with it. No one is arguing/thinking about it any longer, most especially not the one who likely started it.

Golden Moon

Thanks alot you guys, I'll make sure to write this in my journal:D.

Ronia

The only difference I see is the position of the man and not even that. The man on the Rider-Waite is not bleeding and it clearly shows he is not physically dead or wounded. It was all experience of the mind and the soul. The meaning remains the same: what was once is over, end, no more. It was painful, it was long, it was exhausting, but is over. In this way the Ten is similar to death although it doesn't give the same power for transformation on the inside. On both Ten cards the sun is rising and there is the hope, the new will come, the Ace will make the breakthrough and the story will start again. That's the beauty. :)