Intuitive Tarot~The Hierophant V

minrice

I really love this interpretation of the Hierophant.

He doesn't look as though he can just be a western, christian priest which in some of my decks he certainly is. Here he looks as though he could be a wise man, teacher, master, mystic from any persuasion.

To me the look on his face is calm and serene rather than harsh and stern! He looks very zen to me.

I have two thoughts ont he white orb behind him. First it speaks to me of the moon, that this man is in tune with the spirituality and mysteries of the High Priestess. Second, it is a spotlight illuminating the Hierophant as though we have just walked in on a ceremony and are about to recieve some teachings! I also thought that the spotlight could indicate a performance or theatre of some kind. Which to me makes sense as Catholic & Episcopal (former Episcopalian here) masses are very theatrical with beautiful music and robes, etc.

Sometimes I think the Hierophant and the Hermit are very close in meaning and it isn't always easy to distinguish the two. But here I think the essence of the two is very easy to tell apart when you look at the garments of this man. The Hierophants clothing is another element that I love here, he seems very sparkly to me. Here the Hierophant has donned elaborate robes for a reason, whereas the Hermit goes out into the world in naught but his rags. Perhaps the Hierophant is dressed for his role as teacher and presenter, the public face he wears.

Taurus rules the Hierophant so I assume that accounts for the bull inside the headress. Although it seems to me that the bull is more significant for the Hierophant than just that because the Bull is often very present in this card.
As for the two triangles facing opposite directions, this is another Golden Dawn reference. These triangles are present in the Hierophant card in my Hermetic Tarot. I don't know what it is supposed to mean, to my mind I think "as above so below" but again its probably more meaningful than that? Outside of the trinity of things and the triangle as a spiritual symbol...

Attachments

• IT-H.jpg
    IT-H.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 96

desertrat

minrice said:
I really love this interpretation of the Hierophant.
I agree wholeheartedly with so much of your post. It's like you are in my head.

minrice said:
He doesn't look as though he can just be a western, christian priest which in some of my decks he certainly is. Here he looks as though he could be a wise man, teacher, master, mystic from any persuasion.

To me the look on his face is calm and serene rather than harsh and stern! He looks very zen to me.
YES!! Yes, exactly! In quite a few decks the Hierophant appears aloof, arrogant, harsh and preachy. This Hierophant appears as a truly spiritual but public leader. A man of understanding and compassion. He is trustworthy. He feels the weight of his responsibility as a spiritual teacher and takes it seriously. He makes me think of some of the Easter Orthodox denominations, may be the hat (which i love, the synthasizing of the 5 major religions).

minrice said:
I have two thoughts ont he white orb behind him. First it speaks to me of the moon, that this man is in tune with the spirituality and mysteries of the High Priestess. Second, it is a spotlight illuminating the Hierophant as though we have just walked in on a ceremony and are about to recieve some teachings! I also thought that the spotlight could indicate a performance or theatre of some kind. Which to me makes sense as Catholic & Episcopal (former Episcopalian here) masses are very theatrical with beautiful music and robes, etc.
Catholic here (but rather unorthodox, of course) so I saw the white circle as a spotlight. The eyes of the public are upon him and he is centering himself as the ceremony begins.

But I really like your suggestion that the white light represents the moon, connecting him to the High Priestess. It did not occur to me. I see his hands are also out of view.

minrice said:
The Hierophants clothing is another element that I love here, he seems very sparkly to me. Here the Hierophant has donned elaborate robes for a reason, whereas the Hermit goes out into the world in naught but his rags. Perhaps the Hierophant is dressed for his role as teacher and presenter, the public face he wears.

Although I too love his garments, I was surprised by their coloring at first- brown and orange. Very earthy colors. But as I pondered it, I concluded that perhaps those colors are good choices. Warm and sincere, not ostentacious. His garments are regal enough to impress his audience, but modest enough to not distract from his message.

minrice said:
Taurus rules the Hierophant so I assume that accounts for the bull inside the headress. Although it seems to me that the bull is more significant for the Hierophant than just that because the Bull is often very present in this card.
As for the two triangles facing opposite directions, this is another Golden Dawn reference. These triangles are present in the Hierophant card in my Hermetic Tarot. I don't know what it is supposed to mean, to my mind I think "as above so below" but again its probably more meaningful than that? Outside of the trinity of things and the triangle as a spiritual symbol...
The book states the headress represents the 5 major religions. The bull stands for Hinduism (sacred cow). But it could serve the double purpose of signifying Taurus influence. There is the Christian fish and the Crescent of Islam. The two triangles together make the Star of David of Judaism which often does represent "as above so below". And apparently, the surrounding oval represents Buddhism (I've not heard of this).

At the bottom are the Keys of the Kingdom, which signify his authority as a religious leader.

minrice

desertrat said:
The book states the headress represents the 5 major religions. The bull stands for Hinduism (sacred cow). But it could serve the double purpose of signifying Taurus influence. There is the Christian fish and the Crescent of Islam. The two triangles together make the Star of David of Judaism which often does represent "as above so below". And apparently, the surrounding oval represents Buddhism (I've not heard of this).

At the bottom are the Keys of the Kingdom, which signify his authority as a religious leader.

Thanks for that desertrat! I guess I should have read the book on this card ha. Well great then, I did notice the fish but didn't equate it with Christianity or the other symbols in the hat with the 5 major religions. That's really neat though, my instinct was that he was all encompassing!

True, his hands are not showing. Perhaps the lack of hands indicates stillness and not action (because we use our hands in everything that we "do").