Ironwing - The Sun

Wendywu

This card says so many things it’s hard to know where to start! And tht’s with me not even thinking about what Lorena’s book might or might not say.

What I feel most is heat, intense radiating heat. Inside a protective shield (which makes me think of those clocks that are housed within a glass dome) there is a figure. It has its hands raised in an “Oh God, what’s next” type gesture. The single eye rolls slightly upwards as if to emphasise what the hands are saying. At the same time the figure has two legs that form – almost – a dancer’s pose as the figure itself rises gently.

What draws my attention is the cloud-like formation between the figure and the sun itself. Given that the card is about intense, blazing fire and heat I tend to look at the cloud formation as impurities being burned off the figure. I don't say such an experience would feel good to the one being burned! However, once this is done she will stand in the fire as it streams down upon her. Will this be good or bad for her? She’ll stand naked in that intense light and heat with no hiding place. All she is/has been/could be will be exposed to her own gaze (and that of everyone else) – if she cares to look. At the moment she gazes upwards at the Sun.

We know, of course, that staring at the sun is damaging but she stares at it through the cloud of her own impurity as it burns away. Once the cloud is gone then she will have to look away because even though the dome protects her (to an extent) from the heat, it in no way protects her from the Light. Which of us feels she could stare at the Light and not be overcome?

On this card the Sun, the Light, is formed like a Wheel which of course reminds me of Fortune’s Wheel. With the Sun’s Wheel I see that as it turns the figure will be closer or further from the hub where the fire burns most fiercely. So, the sun brings varying levels of intensity of its warmth and light. I can understand that – sometimes there is the gentle warmth of a spring day, at other times the sun blazes with such fierce intensity that I cannot be out in it without protection. Too much of anything can be overwhelming. If the light is too bright and hurts my eyes, how will I see what is approaching? A sun that burns that fiercely, continually, will mean we starve as the land parches and crops fail.

In this connection I had a thought about the lives of the “beautiful” people whose lives often look enviably easy. Then some reporter comes along and turns the spotlight on them and I see that these people are not living the life of ease that I had thought. The light does more than brighten my life! Quench (Temperance) goes with this card very well in reminding me that too much of a good thing isn’t, in fact, very good at all.

Looking again at the card, the dome over the little blob-woman could be seen as a body-shape and the Sun-Wheel is the head. The radiating heat forms the figure’s wild hair. The hub of the wheel – the brightest point of the Sun – forms the brain. A small circular flower is where this figure’s heart would would be and it sends out is own questing tentacles. In this figure the stomach, the gut, is where the eye shape sits, surrounded by petals. For me this is very much a “go with your gut” figure. The Inner eye sees, understands and does its best to pass the message on but is blocked by feelings (the heart flower and its tentacles). Thus the brain doesn’t get the message and can’t take heed of it. And the :rolleyes: comes back as that poor Inner Eye is frustrated once again.

Sometimes I see the blob-woman as a sperm filled with possibility and futures – all waiting to be brought to fruition by the light and energy of the Sun .

For me the card is filled with possibilities, hope, and extremes. I also bask in the warmth, and rejoice in the Light shining on me. When I feel warm and happy, my world sort of goes along with the idea and no matter how grim the reality of my day to day existence - bathed in all that this card shows, my life seems happier and brighter. The idea that as I stand there my impurities burn away is encouraging. The Light shines on me - how can my world not be a happier place?