Is my Tarot just a hobby or more..

Moon mind

Hello...

I do readings, with tarot. I have been doing this for 7 yrs now. I don't count that i was always involved as child with Tarot.

Anyway.. I don't charge any money for readings at this point, 'cause it is just a hobby. this idea, that i just pretend and not charge brought me into readings, when i am very acurete and somehow intersting results acured. I think this is do to the fact that I don't chrge money --(it is not serious, when you don't chrge $ .) therefor my ego sleeps and I am able to tap into the world of Psychic.. People actually coming back to me for readings.

Now, I do have another profession so I am not planing to be The Tarot Reader... but right now I need to have second job, and I am tinking to do Tarot reading as a part time job.. Is this a bad idea?

How do I get rid of this "charge them money feeling?
It is not that i think "oh it is wrong to charge", but more about: "what if I am wrong.. and they - the clients have to pay? how do I shot my ego -- because if the ego is big during reading I may not tap into my Psychic source..and I may be wrong or the quality of reading is not good for the money?

the next question I have, if I do print Bus.cards and hang them to various places, do I do this at home? I guess where else?
and now I know this beem asked before-- HOW much? I think I will charge 40$/ hour, that means if it is a short reading it will be 15$. but if i go deep in I would like to get 40$?hr. Is this low? or too high ?

should i just keep this as a sweet hobby? because i do Love to Do readings..

thanks

mm

Umbrae

Moon mind said:
...therefor my ego sleeps and I am able to tap into the world of Psychic..
...but right now I need to have second job, and I am tinking to do Tarot reading as a part time job.. Is this a bad idea?

How do I get rid of this "charge them money feeling?
When Tarot moves from Hobby to 'something else', you're going to have to deal with Ego Wide Awake for a while. Keep at it long enough and Ego will go back to sleep and you can read normal once again.

Reading sounds like a good idea for you - you've got the 'spark'.

The 'Charge them money' feeling? Well that's a biggie. Remember - even a sparrow must eat in order to sing. And sometimes it may sing the wrong song - but who cares? We listen to the beauty, not the song.

Go read...and charge. Start fees minimal and work up as you develop your reputation.

Be well...

Grizabella

I think it's not necessarily true that when you start charging money, your ego will interfere. You sound as though you've got a pretty humble attitude about it and probably won't be plagued with a big ego when you start charging. If you don't have one now, why would it suddenly appear just because you're charging for readings?

Find out what the going rate for readings is where you live and then charge a little less to begin with till you get some regular clients. Later on, you can raise your rates if you feel you should or decide you want to.

It's perfectly fine to make your business cards at home. Lots and lots of people do make them at home using a printer and some card stock and they turn out great.

As for readings being wrong, the subconscious mind where your readings are coming from has no concept of time. Just because a reading may seem wrong at the moment doesn't mean that with time, it won't prove to have been right. Even if now and then you do seem to have been wrong, everyone on the planet is wrong sometimes and you're no different so don't take it too hard. Every reader experiences that. :)

MercyMe

Ego can interfere not always as someone thinking they are "all that" but as that voice of shame that says, "What if I'm WRONG? I can't be wrong if someone is paying me." That's ego, too. Because ego doesn't want to feel bad. It only wants to feel good. Everybody, in every profession, gets it wrong sometimes. Doctors get it wrong, lawyers get it wrong, carpenters, plumbers, and shopkeepers get it wrong. And they still get paid for what they do, mistakes and all.

If one fully accepts their fallible humanness, ego has no place to stand. Sure I make mistakes. Sometimes the readings I do just suck eggs. Badly. If a client is dissatisfied, they can ask for a refund and I would gladly give it to them. The client may go away saying, "She sucks as a tarot reader, but she's honest and ethical. Hmmm...maybe she was just on an off day? Others have gotten good readings from her...maybe I'll give her a go another time."

Or maybe not. But at least they don't go away bitter.

As Lyric said, don't worry. We all experience it.

Satori

All your experience with Tarot counts!
Even without the cards. You are the sum total of all of your years of experience, not just the last 7 or so.

Charge for your time, your expertise, your passion, and your education. You send a message to yourself that this is important work, that you and your time have worth and that you are now ready to move into a level of learning with Tarot. Because now you will learn how to read the cards. Now you'll see there is a new understanding that will dawn with every reading.

Good luck!

Moon mind

Everyone -- thank you so much for your replies!
MercyMe.. you're right with the ego. ego always wants to be right.LOL that is so true! thank you!
Umbrae, Lyric, elf,
thanks for the support! You are so nice!
I am going to ask my friend today to make a business cards. I start $40 / hr. in my area readigns are anywhere from $40 and up, mostly $100 as far as i know.
I've silk sheet for the cards to lay on(when in the spread)
I use the RWS deck. mostly. but I do love the Haindl tarot, I find it very acurete when asking for feelings.
what I do I give the querent to pick from the decks i have, that gives me vibes about the person already. I am very "organic" in way of doing the lay outs' so it depends on the question, in my mind I choose the lay out. and then follow it.
i also love to use other oracles, like Goddess, or Ask your Guides. just to pick a card< myself to 'see' the person.
The most interesting thing about using Tarot is that:
"the cards are SO RIGHT" in way they come out for the specific question!

recently I did reading for lady i did'nt know nothing about.. and it come to me that she wants to Leave her husband. and she realy did! I aslo saw that she used to worked w/children. and this was mind blowing for her,'cause she wanted to get her job back(working as a social worker!) to gain independence, even though her husband wanted her to saty home..

my frined, who I read for, often(so I know her) she is in big dispute over a construction contract. and for the moment she was thinking that the contractor is being fair with her... BUT the SEVEN OF CUPS come up --THE ILUSSION! SO ...(Haindl)
sometimes (me and my querents) are freeking out.. about it! LOL!:)

this is exciting !
I'm goign to kepp you posed how thing's going...

Oh I do have a helper.. My granma ring, that I wear only for readings...(she did Tarot too)

thank you!
mm

Moon mind

Oh I had another vingette..
this is a touchy topic.
i did read for a man once, not long ago and I don't remeber the cards, but it came to me that even though he was married..and he is with one child ..it came to me that he was gay.. my littlevoice was :he's gay he is gay;;;
I was sitting across from him .. not knowing what to say? you know? and I heared; it's ok it's ok... just tell him not to be ashamed..
so I said: 'it tells me -- to not be ashamed of some "energy''
and he was sitting there looking ... kind of noding his head....
it was weird...but funny I am not jugmental person..

FaeryGodmother

I, personally, am one of the few here who has an issue with charging money for readings. This is not so much a reflection on how i feel about my reading skills as how i feel about how payment changes the nature of the reading event.

If you are thinking or about about to embark on a paid career as a reader I would offer one caution- you will not ever be 100% accurate. No one is. But don't let it get you down, ok. There are simply some people we don't connect with or who won't want to hear a word you have to say, even if you are right.

As for making a career or main breadwinner out of it, then I think its fair to say that its a little like becoming an entertainer. You may not be able to give up your day job to start off with but who's to say that you don't end up becoming the next big thing?:)

Anyway, best of luck with it. I'm sure if you believe in yourself then the Universe will follow. :)

much love
Faery

Grizabella

From what you've described in your last two posts, it sounds like you're an excellent reader and well worth the fee you're thinking of charging. :) Good luck with your new business. I think you'll do very well.