Is the Camoin-Jodorowsky Marseiile a modern deck?

Maskelyne

I got turned on to Tarot by Alejandro Jodorowsky's "Tarot" extra on the Holy Mountain DVD. So his was the first deck I bought, though I really wanted the one in the film. I use this deck, and somehow Jodorowsky the holy con man is always at the back of my mind when I do. For this reason, it has a very different vibe for me than more respectful recreations such as the Flornoy Noblet. Do you think the various "restorations" in the C-J, like the Tower door, the ramp in the Star, and those eggs, make it a modern deck? Or is this analogous to Menards Quixote?

David

conversus

It is a Modern deck masquerading as an Historical Deck. IMHO it is NOT what it is claimed to be. But it is an a deck of Tarot Cards, a quite interesting example of the Marseille pattern.

If you connect with it, you should just enjoy it for what it is, a deck of cards that you use.

CED

frelkins

Use whatever deck calls out to you. Try a couple. Try the Camoin, a Hadar, a Vieville, a Noblet, an Ancient Bologna, a Grimaud, whatever. One of them will really resonate with you and that will be *your* authentic deck. :D

Maskelyne

Actually, I like this deck a lot. I was just wondering how others saw it in comparison to facsimile decks or less idiosyncratic reconstructions. The C-J jut feels like a modern deck to me, though that may have more to do with the crisp colors and very bright cardstock than with any psychic residue of Jodorowski.

Le Fanu

frelkins said:
Use whatever deck calls out to you. Try a couple. Try the Camoin, a Hadar, a Vieville, a Noblet, an Ancient Bologna, a Grimaud, whatever. One of them will really resonate with you and that will be *your* authentic deck. :D
Best advice yet. You choose which deck for you is the *quintessential* historical deck. For me, the only cleaned up reproductions I actually enjoy using are the Flornoy ones. They have something special that no other restored decks have. For the others, I generally prefer them to be not so cleaned up (Vieville, Paris, LoS Ancient Tarot of Marseiles, Giocomo Zoni Bologna Tarot). I find the colours of the Camoin-Jodorowsky a little too gaudy...

Moonbow

I like this deck too, but its a modern rendition and the design is a mixture of bits picked up from other decks so I think of it as a hybrid, with mainly Conver alliances.

teomat

Moonbow* said:
I like this deck too, but its a modern rendition and the design is a mixture of bits picked up from other decks so I think of it as a hybrid, with mainly Conver alliances.
I got this deck last week and I like it too. I've been looking for a TdM that ticks all the boxes for me and I think this is the best I can find. It's not perfect, but it'll do for me. :)

The dubious authenticity claims are unfortunate and unnecessary. I feel they detract from what is otherwise a very nice and user-friendly deck. If Jodo and Camoin were just honest and say they just wanted to add a bit of spice to the deck, then that would be fine. But don't say it's something that it's not. But anyway I can ignore all that and take the deck as it is.

One thing I can't ignore, and which I feel is VERY odd, is the green vagina on the Empress card. It's just sooo silly...

Maskelyne

teomat said:
One thing I can't ignore, and which I feel is VERY odd, is the green vagina on the Empress card. It's just sooo silly...
A similar, though less conspicuous feature is seen on this card. (Classic Tarot, a Burdel clone).