is this marseilles a good buy?

yaraluna

I am looking at acquiring a Grimaud Tarot Deck Paul Marteau, from the 1980's or so. would this be a good investment>? any pros or cons? thanks
yara

Bernice

yaraluna said:
I am looking at acquiring a Grimaud Tarot Deck Paul Marteau, from the 1980's or so. would this be a good investment>? any pros or cons? thanks
yara
If you mean a monetary investment, I wouldn't know. I buy decks because I like them, or hope to like them once I get to see them close-up & handle them.

As I don't have the Grimaud deck myself I cannot speak of it's pros & cons. Sorry.

Bee :)

coredil

yaraluna said:
yara
From a financial aspect I would not say a 1980 Grimaud-Marteau deck is an investment.
One can find them quite easily and not really expensive.
But who knows what the future may bring?

The First edition deck (1930 to 1940?) with the very thick cardstock and the light beige card background have much more collector value.
It is quite difficult to find and it can be expensive too.

But from an historical aspect keep in mind that this deck has a real history!
It comes from the past to us and it is one of the rare TDM deck with such a continuous history.
It comes from the Arnoult Lequart deck and since then it has always been printed until today!
Considering (in a very simplified way) that the Arnoult Lequart is a deck with a real connection to early TDM, then the Marteau Grimaud is a deck that comes almost naturally without interruption to us.
I would say this is something very very special and unique.

About the pictures, it is a deck with much blue!
I find the drawings very pleasant and if you are not to picky about the meaning of colors, then it is a solid TDM that was during a long time the only one you could get and many people read with it.

So yes it is worth to have such a deck, it is also a must ;)

If you are interested you can have a look to this thread where you will find quite a lot of pictures of the several editions of this particular deck:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57491

Best regards

Yves Le Marseillais

Paul Marteau 1930 Edition Only Please

coredil said:
From a financial aspect I would not say a 1980 Grimaud-Marteau deck is an investment.
One can find them quite easily and not really expensive.
But who knows what the future may bring?

The First edition deck (1930 to 1940?) with the very thick cardstock and the light beige card background have much more collector value.
It is quite difficult to find and it can be expensive too.

But from an historical aspect keep in mind that this deck has a real history!
It comes from the past to us and it is one of the rare TDM deck with such a continuous history.
It comes from the Arnoult Lequart deck and since then it has always been printed until today!
Considering (in a very simplified way) that the Arnoult Lequart is a deck with a real connection to early TDM, then the Marteau Grimaud is a deck that comes almost naturally without interruption to us.
I would say this is something very very special and unique.

About the pictures, it is a deck with much blue!
I find the drawings very pleasant and if you are not to picky about the meaning of colors, then it is a solid TDM that was during a long time the only one you could get and many people read with it.

So yes it is worth to have such a deck, it is also a must ;)

If you are interested you can have a look to this thread where you will find quite a lot of pictures of the several editions of this particular deck:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57491

Best regards

Hi Coredil and all,
I agree with you about 1930 edition only.
I too have one from 1930 and compared it to 1980 or more recent editions and it's clear that quality is much better, colors, cardstock, thickness.

My exemplary is complete but colors are more faded than another exemplary I just saw from another collector (in hand too).
It remind me when I started with Tarot 30 years ago.

But to get a 1930 version is costing about 200 €uros and to buy a 1980 edition is peanuts.

In short I would say:
Buy a 1980.
Then... buy a 1930.
You will not regret because to compare is part of Tarot Collectioner pleasure and source of insights.

Salutations from Marseille Capital City of Tarot

Yves