It's been so long

ScaryFairy

I haven't even picked up my favourite deck (Victorian Romantic) for a while.
Really want to get back into it, but it's quite difficult.

Started several years ago, and it feels like daily life (even though I'm not an especially busy person) is holding me back from doing it consistently. It's not the first time it's happened either.

Any advice? Anyone been in a similar position? Thanks :)

BodhiSeed

I'm of the mindset that reading tarot should be enjoyable (even when the cards poke us a bit), so I wouldn't fret if you don't have the time or just don't feel like reading. You might try drawing a card in the morning, keeping it face down all day, then looking at it before you retire to bed and see if it relates to anything that you experienced that day. That might be quick and doable.:)

ScaryFairy

I'm of the mindset that reading tarot should be enjoyable (even when the cards poke us a bit), so I wouldn't fret if you don't have the time or just don't feel like reading. You might try drawing a card in the morning, keeping it face down all day, then looking at it before you retire to bed and see if it relates to anything that you experienced that day. That might be quick and doable.:)

That's a good idea :)
Feel like I've changed and matured a lot since I started - but I'm excited to get back into it. Something like that is probably the best way to do it.

VGimlet

I took lots of breaks in my teen years and my twenties. Too busy, life seemed to get in the way.

I like BodhiSeed's suggestion. If you want to do a larger reading, after you do one card readings for awhile, maybe do a three card reading for the week, just for fun.

I agree, take it slow. Tarot should be fun and enjoyable, not another 'thing you have to do'. :D

Carla

Wow, I didn't even start tarot until I was 42. :) I think you should go with it as an organic process. Keep your decks available around you and just pick them up a lot. Even if you just sit and shuffle or look through them, you'll be keeping tarot in your mind and will be more inclined to read and study as the mood strikes. :)

Trogon

Hi ScaryFairy! Yep! I've been working back in to Tarot after a 2 to 3 year "break" (started out to be just a few month ...). Sometimes, as you mentioned, the mundane things of regular life just get in the way. For me, it was a promotion at work, with a lot more responsibility and having to go to day shift instead of my regular graveyard shift.

I started a new notebook where I could have a whole page for each card (previous notebook, I was putting notes for 2 to 3 cards on each page). So, essentially I started my studies all over again. I started 1 card daily draws for a while, then recently started doing 3-card daily readings (or just 1-card if I don't have as much time).

Heh, I also got myself some new decks ... that helped rekindle the excitement and fun in Tarot for me. Yes. Definitely get yourself that Paulina Tarot you've been wanting for a while, it's only $12 at Amazon right now and there's only 15 left.

[Edit to add;] Oops! I just saw you're in the UK. Amazon.co.uk has it for £17.

ScaryFairy

Hi ScaryFairy! Yep! I've been working back in to Tarot after a 2 to 3 year "break" (started out to be just a few month ...). Sometimes, as you mentioned, the mundane things of regular life just get in the way. For me, it was a promotion at work, with a lot more responsibility and having to go to day shift instead of my regular graveyard shift.

I started a new notebook where I could have a whole page for each card (previous notebook, I was putting notes for 2 to 3 cards on each page). So, essentially I started my studies all over again. I started 1 card daily draws for a while, then recently started doing 3-card daily readings (or just 1-card if I don't have as much time).

Heh, I also got myself some new decks ... that helped rekindle the excitement and fun in Tarot for me. Yes. Definitely get yourself that Paulina Tarot you've been wanting for a while, it's only $12 at Amazon right now and there's only 15 left.

[Edit to add;] Oops! I just saw you're in the UK. Amazon.co.uk has it for £17.

A little short of money at the moment so I'm saving for it, or will ask for my birthday in a couple of months :)
(What a travesty that it's so much cheaper on Amazon US :p )
Actually thinking of getting Joie de Vivre first - it's so beautiful.

I think I'll get a good book, too, when I can. The Tarot Playbook looks great. I still have my tarot journal around, so I can continue to add to that. Got a beautiful notebook from Paperchase too which would be great to work in :)

Trogon

A little short of money at the moment so I'm saving for it, or will ask for my birthday in a couple of months :)
(What a travesty that it's so much cheaper on Amazon US :p )
Actually thinking of getting Joie de Vivre first - it's so beautiful.

I think I'll get a good book, too, when I can. The Tarot Playbook looks great. I still have my tarot journal around, so I can continue to add to that. Got a beautiful notebook from Paperchase too which would be great to work in :)
I guess you like Paulina Cassiday's work! Her decks are very pretty and fantastical. :D

I definitely understand the "short of money" part ... been there lots of times and I'm sure I'll be there again (sooner rather than later I expect). That being the case, if you have a few Pounds, you might check local used-book stores ... they frequently have used decks for little money. Or ... you could just save up for that Joie de Vivre ... ;)

But, I am finding with starting my new notebook, that my understanding of the cards and the types of situations, feelings, people and so on that they might represent, has expended a lot since I started my first one. That's one really good thing about starting a new notebook ... it helps to put into words the things you feel from the cards. And being able to put things into words, helps tremendously when you're doing a reading.

Oh yeah ... you can always do a reading on whether or not you're ready and what your next spiritual step might be.

[Edit to add;] Oh yeah, that last sentence of mine reminded me of a spread that was posted on A.T. a while back - the "Next Spiritual Step" spread; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=7825

Wintergreen

Wow, I didn't even start tarot until I was 42. :) I think you should go with it as an organic process. Keep your decks available around you and just pick them up a lot. Even if you just sit and shuffle or look through them, you'll be keeping tarot in your mind and will be more inclined to read and study as the mood strikes. :)

Same with me: started at 42. I've felt drawn to the tarot several times during my life, and even bought a deck many years ago that I never used, but life just kept me from taking the time to learn. I made some huge changes in my life a couple of years ago, and it seemed very natural this year to finally pick it up.

I agree too: take it slow and don't feel pressure to perform in any way. Just handle the cards and use them as feels right. :)

ScaryFairy

Thanks so much :)

Great to be back on AT :)