J.C. Jegel Fortune Telling 1870 Reprint?

rwcarter

About a month ago, I bought a deck off eBay. The seller didn't know much about it, actually listing it as an "Antique French Sybille Grimaud Fortune Tarot Cards RARE". I've spent more than a few hours today trying to figure out what this deck is. I scanned in a card and the card back and tried Google image searches to no avail. I tried searching the Oracle forums here at Aeclectic. I tried all kinds of Google web searches to no avail until I finally found an image on Trionfi. There the deck is listed as "J. C. Jegel Fortune Telling 1870" and is associated with the name Alexander Sukhorukow.

My deck is very similar to the deck there, but there are some major differences:
  • the images in my deck are brighter
  • my deck has square corners where the deck there has rounded corners
  • the green back is lighter on my deck
  • the deck on trifoni is listed as being 52 x 82 mm while my deck is 57 x 89 mm

It came in a 2 part plastic case that has

"FORTUNE-
TELLING
FT17"
typed (like on a typewriter!) on a label on the top part of the case. Judging by the fading of the ink, written in pen at 3 different times are "A.S.S.", "(BIELEFELD)" and "74". I know ASS is a publisher.

I've attached scans of one of the cards and the card back. I have no idea if this is a Lenormand variant, a Kipper card variant or some other form of 32 card deck. I would appreciate any info folks can provide about this deck.

Thanks,
Rodney

Attachments

• AT unknown deck.jpg
    AT unknown deck.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 121
  • AT unknown deck - back.jpg
    AT unknown deck - back.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 126

MatPoint

Is intriguing this one. Is it like a Sibila?

rwcarter

The titles are in German, French and English. They line up more with Kipper Cards than Sibilla from my limited understanding but there are a number of differences. I don't remember all the cards, but some are Widow, Widower, Fortune, Hope, Sickness and Child. I'll put up the complete list when I get home tonight.

rwcarter

According to Trionfi, the order of the cards (with their English titles) is:
1 - Merriment
2 - The Lord
3 - Hope
4 - The Baby
5 - The Message
6 - An Officer
7 - Meditation
8 - The Death
9 - Jealousy
10 - Assembly
11 - Money
12 - Voyage
13 - Dame
14 - Fortune
15 - Virgin
16 - The Widower
17 - Inconstancy
18 - A Widow
19 - The House
20 - The Present
21 - The Letter
22 - Grief
23 - A Youth
24 - Judge
25 - Falsehood
26 - A Thief
27 - A Parson
28 - Fidelity
29 - Love
30 - Disaster
31 - Lord
32 - Sickness

MatPoint

They are very similar to the zigeneur waharsagekarten (also known gypsy cards) with a few different cards. The Virgin card is something I haven't seen anywhere.