jaki leibzeit's drumming influence

empress's dress

jaki liebzeit, just about my favorite musician died this week. his influence is felt in everything you listen to. the ultimate musician's musician.

he was a 78! wish he lived even longer!

i have carried his spirit into every thing i do.

anyone who says in loving jest he was the first drum machine gets it all wrong.

so i asked lenormand to tell me about jaki leibzeit's enduring influence on the world. may he rest in peace. as we take pleasure in his drumming.

whips - key - birds - house - love

drums - influential - band/influence - recordings/soul - love of drumming/other musician's love/love of art/ love pure and simple

his drumming is key to the band and why everyone who makes music loves them so much( i have never met a musician who didn't say wow upon hearing him the first time). all the other musicians in can are great. but he is the key.

the cards are remarkable.

an influential -- or i would say just about the best -- drummer will spread his infectious love of music, his skill that everyone copies but no one can capture indefinitely. amazing. love.

vitamin c 1972

any other thoughts on the cards?

zhadee

whips - key - birds - house - love

hi Empress, I have listened to some of their songs, though I'm no expert. =) I will read the cards with the focus on music.

The Rods are the drumsticks, and the hands.
The Key is the ... clef
The Birds is the vibrant energy (there was something restless in their songs) and the news they brought into their specific branch (they were pioneers in some areas?). Apart from singing, birds do a lot more noises.
The House is the specific genre, also the physical aspect (a drummer does far more than just pressing a key).
The Heart is the passion, and also the beat. Without heart, the music is dead.

Funny enough not the Moon, or the Dog. The musical qualities come from a different source. Whip, Key, Birds and Heart all relate to rhythm, beat (Rods = drumsticks) and repetitive patterns brought to mastery (Key, Heart).
Birds are not fully calculable in the way they move, but they are nested in the middle of 4 cards which follow a recognisable pattern.

So the Birds display the creative genius, nested in a solid foundation of skill (Whip + Key = never miss a beat), and passion about the profession (House + Heart). The Birds may also reflect on the multiple people Jaki has played with, and the many 'offsprings' he has inspired.

empress's dress

love your added bonus layer of reading the cards. i couldn't believe how they related perfectly. mind blowing actually.

whips keys birds heart all musical
all about rhythm and melody. all parts working together in his house! of course!!!!! thank you!!!!!!

haha you captured the spirit of jaki liebzeit in your response!

do you usually think of moon and dog in relation to music?

birds fit the idea of a group, the idea of song.

house is genre. lol the house of experiments. bird house - so much music. the room is soaked in song. the song is passed through generations. the heart is a blood line... yes, zhadee thank you!!!!

following the heart/passion. absolutely. absolutely! thank you! haha lame response perhaps on my part...but you got me all inspired.

zhadee

usually, Moon is for me the fine arts. Stage life, attention and fame. Dog is ... well, they sing and howl at the Moon =D
But Can did something different. Sessions, experiments. Others got inspired, and they might appear like they have invented a new genre when in fact the basics were founded by Can.
The Birds are a beautiful image for a large group, like a swarm of people gathered around. So perhaps Jaki was the tree, bearing all the nests and birds? Supporting their songs?

empress's dress

usually, Moon is for me the fine arts. Stage life, attention and fame. Dog is ... well, they sing and howl at the Moon =D
But Can did something different. Sessions, experiments. Others got inspired, and they might appear like they have invented a new genre when in fact the basics were founded by Can.
The Birds are a beautiful image for a large group, like a swarm of people gathered around. So perhaps Jaki was the tree, bearing all the nests and birds? Supporting their songs?

yes true about the basics of all modern music in every genre were founded by can.
can aren't famous. they are influential. hugely influential. and genius.
birds and dogs both make music. coming from a different place. can was always about improvisation. working in a group. birds are always in groups. singing/cirping/conversing in groups. social111

do dogs howl alone? i know wolves howl to cover up they are in a measly pack to protect themselves from bigger packs. but dogs i don't know. a border collie i spent a lot of time around would howl sometimes when he really liked music. oh it was adorable...but birds converse through music. it is their way. only music...improvisation is a conversation. birds do that....it requires great skill to make it interesting. that is what can excelled at. making it interesting.

jaki bared all the nests and thus all the birds.
he is the backbone. the tree. the structure. but also somehow the flourishes, the decoration.