Jodorowsky

yaraluna

what do you think of the way that Jodorowsky addresses tarot, its originis, development, the changes he made and how he goes about reading it?

has any of you read his La via del tarot "the path of the tarot" either in french or spanish?

thanks

yara

Rainbow Aurora

hello yara

Flavio said:
After reading, La voi du Tarot by Jodorowsky it was clear for me that a whole new Tarot world was waiting for me in the Marseilles tradition, Majors do really shine among all those "sticks and dots" and a deck that has survived centuries have to be respected. My "veritable" has not become yet my best "marseilles friend" but we're getting along with no rushes.
Hola :) Flavio! Are you nearby?

yaraluna

I have been reading JOdo's book la via del tarot, and it has opened my eyes to the Marseille or better say historical tarot deck. I like the way that he sees the tarot as a story, like i do, and not a set of independent cards. that is just a very simple way of sharing what he talks about.

one thing that has really peeked my interest in this area is the Tower card. I see how most people have related the tower card with destruction, a bolt of light falling on it, chaos, etc. where as Jodo has put it in a way of fun, things opening up for good or bad, the cat out or the bag kind of thing. the people are not falling in his view but dancing in their hands. when i looked at it that is what i saw the first time, these little dots of color jumping all over. then, i learnerd through RW and others how the tower is bad.

any thoughts on it?

yara

TheOld

i have read the book "la voie du tarot" , the beginning of the book is interesting but i found the rest boring, and another point is that i found jodosky full of himself ; he present his evaluation as fact and as the one and only way...

just my view...

Omeada

Minervasaltar

I didn't read the book but have got the deck. Concerning Le Maison Dieu, I think the relationship between destruction/chaos and happiness is that collapse makes you free.

yaraluna

TheOld said:
i have read the book "la voie du tarot" , the beginning of the book is interesting but i found the rest boring, and another point is that i found jodosky full of himself ; he present his evaluation as fact and as the one and only way...

just my view...

Omeada

I have only read the begining so far also. when he goes into each card, i take it with a grain of salt kind of thing. I do see ego in his writing and that is why i don't care about him, only what he says about tarot in the book as research.
I am studying more the marseille and early decks and that is why i got the book. also, i wanted to know a different point of view to the lilteral or more used one. it's like the RW having taken over the way we read tarot . for some people that is all there is. for me, tarot is a language that we can learn to 'speak' or interpret.
some other people get JOdo's book just to read the "reading with the cards" section and skip the rest. it depends on what you want.

i like to look at things differently and from different points of view. this does not mean that i am taking everything as law.

i appreciate your comments

yara

le pendu

yaraluna said:
I have only read the begining so far also. when he goes into each card, i take it with a grain of salt kind of thing. I do see ego in his writing and that is why i don't care about him, only what he says about tarot in the book as research.
I am studying more the marseille and early decks and that is why i got the book. also, i wanted to know a different point of view to the lilteral or more used one. it's like the RW having taken over the way we read tarot . for some people that is all there is. for me, tarot is a language that we can learn to 'speak' or interpret.
some other people get JOdo's book just to read the "reading with the cards" section and skip the rest. it depends on what you want.

i like to look at things differently and from different points of view. this does not mean that i am taking everything as law.

i appreciate your comments

yara

Hi yara,

I wish I could read it, but only read English. I say Good For You for studying and trying to learn more about the historical decks. I love that you are open to learning and willing to explore. I hope you enjoy the book, and many more adventures in tarot history to come.

Sophie

I like that book. I agree with TheOld that Jodo is a bit full of himself, but that doesn't actually bother me, because I think he has quite a lot to be full about. I can't go into a full review, but these are the sections of the book that I found most valuable:

- the "If the XXX (card) spoke" - he did those for the Majors and the Courts. It's a fabulous exercise, and I've done it myself. He has a very vital imagination and has engaged with the cards in a real way.

- his development of the minors, which is the best since Marteau took a look at Marseille minors. Jodo's view is more spiritual, less practical, than Marteau's, but it makes you think about the minors in all sorts of different ways, while seeing the progression and the relation to the suit and the Majors.

- his mandala, which gave me all sorts of creative ideas of my own.

- the pairings he does - what happens when the Papess meets the Emperor? And the fact that he will look at which comes first.

There are other parts that I like, depending on what I am looking for at any one time. La Voie du Tarot is one of the few tarot books I took with me to SA, because it's worth going back to often. If you disregard his remarks of "my way of the highway", which are mainly at the beginning of the book, you will gain much from his engagement with the Tarot de Marseille, which is not that of a scholar, but of an artist.