Judgement vs Star

SekhemNefer

How are these cards differ in regards to having the "renewal" aspect? I have seen various books use these cards to mean "renewal", especially using examples of a person being sick but will soon feel better.

We don't have to focus on illness, but I was giving an example of the renewal aspect.

nisaba

I see the Star as being the exact moment where you start to see the light at the end of hte tunnel.

I see Judgement a being the point where you sit down and analyse all the dumb stuff you've done before so that you can avoid doing it again.

That's a bit of a simplification, but it should point out the differences in teh renewal offered by those two cards as I see it.

SekhemNefer

Make sense, because one of the meanings of Judgement is "to forgive and forget". So it is a renewal after evualuation, while Star is just seeing progress or renewal after hoping that they would.

Thirteen

Nisaba makes an excellent point. Both cards can relate to healing from an illness or injury, as well as anything else, but the Star is "There's your goal in the distance; it'll take work, but we can reach it." It comes at the beginning, and it's focus is to show you that there is a hopeful future in the distance; it's not guaranteed, but its possible if you're willing to go that way. So you've been given your first dose of medicine, a glimpse of what you might have, and assurances that you can reach this hopeful conclusion if you want to.

Judgement is "We can get you out of this hospital, but only if you're willing to face this one thing that you haven't been able to face." Judgement comes up not at the beginning of something, but at a point near the very end. The name and image on the card is, after all, that moment just before accession to heaven, the *last* judgement.

In Judgement, you're gone every step of the journey, done all the work to get yourself to this point. You're one step away from the end, but you've hit a major roadblock. One that requires you to face something or admit something or let go of something you've been holding onto this whole time. It's the hardest thing of all to let it go, but now you have to decide, let it go and get to your goal, or hold on and stay where you are. Judgement is that moment of decision with the promise of complete healing if you do let go.

Judgement present that qualification. If you don't do this, you don't ascend.

The Star's only qualification for healing is that you accept a drink of the waters it freely offers and be willing to head toward that distant future.

vger

Thirteen and nisaba have made some excellent points, so I'm just parroting their views here.

The Star is the very first ray of hope - that there is some light at the end of the tunnel; but the tunnel is very long, the light is very distant. The situation may turn well but this will happen somewhere in the future. There's still that dark tunnel to travel through before you can reach the light.

Judgment is the last obstacle - you've traveled almost all the way through the dark tunnel and are about to reach the light. But there's this one last thing you have to overcome. It's an obstacle from your past, something you didn't want to face, a skeleton in your closet, some unfinished business you carried this far only because you were too afraid to see it again. This is the time to face it so that you can let it go for good. You must dig up all the skeletons in your closet and face them, so that you can finally let them go and reach the light.

balenciaga

The star can be a situation that is "out of reach", something one strives for but it is "too out there". Or "wishing in vain".
Judgment, on the other hand, speaks to a situation that "saves" you from further disturbance because it is a symbol that your crisis is ending and "passing"; you are now out of danger.