jumpers in spread, Queen and Three of Cups, and Death

euripides

When I was shuffling, I had two cards fall - the Three and Queen of Cups. I reshuffled well. They both appeared in my spread. What I'm wondering is, could those two cards together, apart from the spread, be trying to tell me something (that I'm currently missing) or should I just consider their positions in the spread more carefully?

The Three of Cups was at the center of the Celtic Cross (present) and the Queen at 8, 'External Influences'. Below her is the V Cups - another card that has repeatedly shown up in recent spreads. Usually I do the 'self knowledge' spread, but this time I did the Celtic, asking, rather pathetically, "What do I have to do to be happy?" The whole spread was heavily dominated by cups - unusual for me. Until now its been swords everywhere, or pents.
I also had a lot of Majors this time.

Death is in the Final Outcome position - not surprising really, as I'm in the process of trying to strip my life of irrelevancies and refocus it - does this mean that me efforts will succeed? Or that this process is going to drag on?

I'd welcome any thoughts.....
thanks
Euri

Belladonna

Considering your question, I am not surprised that you got a lot of cups in your reading- more specifically because there is usually an absence of cups in your spreads. Perhaps this reading is trying to emphasize that in order for you to be more happy you need to balance your life more with love and friendship. This is not to say that you lack these qualities in your life, but maybe you do not appreciate or acknowledge them enough.

The fact that the 3 and Queen of cups popped out at you and then reappeared in your spread is, in my opinion, especially important.

The 3 of cups indicating your present situation would seem to say you have ample opportunity for social activity, spending more time with friends or discovering new people who share your interests. The 3 of cups is joyous. Take advantage of it, have fun, find something to celebrate!

The Queen of cups in the position of external influences would hint towards a particular woman, I would think. A mature lady, warm, someone you could really talk to, someone who may work with children or animals or in some kind of healing profession. The Queen of cups is nurturing, loving, romantic, sensitive, sexy, and wears her heart on her sleeve, at least more than the other queens. Sound like anyone you know?

All in all, I think that this spread may be encouraging you to be more open to love. It's out there, it's all around you, just open yourself up to it. You may be in for a big surprise if Death has anything to do with it. Your old life seems to be completey outworn!

euripides

thanks!

Thank you, Belladonna. This helps a lot.

I was so puzzled by that three of cups - thinking, gee, I'm not feeling a whole lot of fellowship and joy right now! As you say, the opportunities are there. I just have to be more open to them. I'm still a bit puzzled by the Queen, though your explanation of her character helps. I'm still learning the cards - I need to spend a bit of time getting to know the courts.

I'll have to think about the women I know. There's a few older, wiser women in around me - perhaps I should be turning to them for words of wisdom.

I think you are right about being more open to love. Significantly to me, the pents have been dominating the self-knowledge spread. I've been very focussed on trying to sort out the material side of my life , thinking this would create the environment and space for creativity. But really, that's putting the cart before the horse, isn't it. Because you never have enough space, time, money... all that... if I just give time and energy to the things that matter, the things that don't will have to fall by the wayside.

I've been looking to dramatically change the way we live, but locked into old habits. I always think that modern life is deeply flawed, but I love technology. Trying to find a model of 'simple living' that doesn't need me to raise chickens and make my own yoghurt.

thanks for your thoughts!

Euri

Belladonna

I know what you mean, but if you think about it, all these technological advancements were meant to simplify our lives. I, for one, am extremely grateful for my electric lights, indoor plumbing, and refrigerator. It frees up my time to cook yummy, nutritious vegetable soups!

I was thinking, since the Queen of cups popped out at you twice, there seems to be a special significance associated with her as well. I wonder if she could be trying to tell you that she is who you need to become in order to effect the kind of changes you would like to see in your life. Likely, there is someone in your environment who will mirror these qualities back at you, but ultimately you have to be your own "external influence" over your life.

Just for fun, here are a few other things that came to mind when I thought of Queen of Cups: potion brewing, wine making
essential oils, aromatherapy
hot tubs, swimming
tea leaf reading
aquariums, sea food
water color painting

Just to name a few. Have fun!

euripides

Oh, I do like the way you think. I like that creative free association.

I was doing the Self Knowledge spreads, the Queen of Swords was there a lot - I chose her as a significator, then decided to see what the cards said, and dealt her... freaked me out a bit, at first! She kept coming back, too, whenever I didn't use her as a significator.

Perhaps because she's the person I've been trying to be - and maybe she isn't who I am. Or perhaps its that the realm of ideas and the 'masculine' side of my personality is constantly swamping the feminine side...

I didn't use her as significator this time, I was trying using some stones instead. (a little pebble like a spotted bird's egg, a Maltese cross, a piece of Malachite and another stone which is supposed to be good for intuition. I don't know why I used all of them, it just seemed like a good idea).

So perhaps the Queen of Cups was trying to fill that vacancy....

You've really set me thinking now. How I wish I'd discovered Tarot years ago - what a brilliant way to expand your mind.

best wishes
Euri

Belladonna said:
Likely, there is someone in your environment who will mirror these qualities back at you, but ultimately you have to be your own "external influence" over your life.

Just for fun, here are a few other things that came to mind when I thought of Queen of Cups: potion brewing, wine making
essential oils, aromatherapy
hot tubs, swimming
tea leaf reading
aquariums, sea food
water color painting

Just to name a few. Have fun!