Knight of Swords as a solution, I don't understand

.traveller.

This card came up as the solution for the problem represented by the 8 of wands. Aren't they both about speed and focus (which is the problem, I've got tunnel vision)?
I don't understand the Knight of Swords as the solution to a problem regarding speed and focus.

Help? What am I missing?

pasara

I would say that the 8 is about the speed, but the knight is about the focus. In an eight of wands situation things could be moving so fast that the momentum can carry you away. The knight is moving fast too, and sometimes a bit recklessly, but he has a clear idea of his goal or the ideal which he is moving toward. I think this card is telling you to make sure you keep your eye on what you are really trying to achieve and not just getting caught up in things, and perhaps being pulled in a direction you didn't want or intend to be.

CathS

The first thing that comes into my head here is Shakespeare (don't ask, really...).

"Take arms against a sea of troubles,
And, by opposing, end them."*
The knights are fire - action. The Swords are air - thought. Put your thoughts into action. Stand up for your beliefs. Fight. Don't let the arrows of change (8 of wands) guide you in a direction you don't want to go.

*(And, uh, no, I'm not suggesting Hamlet's solution to that particular sea of troubles)

Thirteen

.traveller. said:
This card came up as the solution for the problem represented by the 8 of wands. Aren't they both about speed and focus
8/Wands involves speed and focus but not intelligence or thinking. You're passionate about something, and you race after it, like running for the finish line. Knight/Swords (as solution) tells you to cool down. Stop being so passionate and hot, and use your head.

And I think the picture of the Knight on the Horse says it all quite well: Consider a horse race. The horse has focus and passion. It wants to beat out the other horses by going as fast as it can right away--that its nature after all, and it does that instinctively and with no thought.

Which is why, in a horse race, you've got a jockey on the horse's back. The jockey's job is to think. He holds the horse back so it doesn't waste all its energy right out the gate; so it has reserves for when they are near the finish line. He directs the horse in and around other horses, close to the fence or away from it, whichever will serve them best. He keeps his mind and focus clear and cool, so that when he sees an opening, he can give the horse that all important kick and they can finally go for it.

8/Wands is the horse. Knight/Swords is a jockey on a horse. Be the later, not the former. The former may get you where you're going, but you'll end up there with no more energy and maybe damaged. The later will get you there with energy to spare and in great shape.

.traveller.

Thank you all!

CathS, love Shakespeare... quoth away.

Now I just need to apply these ideas, I feel a Knight of Swords sized headache coming on.

WalesWoman

This is another thought about Knight of Swords, he uses that sword to cut out and get rid of what is harmful or not conducive and does it quickly to prevent further harm. He is fast, furious and fearless and does what he needs to without second guessing himself.

With an 8 Wands and Knight Swords, I would think it is saying to do this quickly, use that action and force to get out of what ever it immediately and decisively, not to be weighing the pros and cons, but just do it, now. Seems like it would be saying go after what you want and don't dally, if something needs cut out, then take a swipe at it, make a clean cut and get it over with.

.traveller.

WalesWoman said:
This is another thought about Knight of Swords, he uses that sword to cut out and get rid of what is harmful or not conducive and does it quickly to prevent further harm. He is fast, furious and fearless and does what he needs to without second guessing himself.

With an 8 Wands and Knight Swords, I would think it is saying to do this quickly, use that action and force to get out of what ever it immediately and decisively, not to be weighing the pros and cons, but just do it, now. Seems like it would be saying go after what you want and don't dally, if something needs cut out, then take a swipe at it, make a clean cut and get it over with.

I had the Tower in an action position so that definitely seems to play into what you are saying here. I'm still struggling with how to best use the guidance, so I am cleaning house while I am thinking all of this over. Sometimes I feel like I have rocks for brains...

Thank you :)

WalesWoman

.traveller. said:
I had the Tower in an action position so that definitely seems to play into what you are saying here. I'm still struggling with how to best use the guidance, so I am cleaning house while I am thinking all of this over. Sometimes I feel like I have rocks for brains...

Thank you :)

Cleaning house is a very Knight Swords thing to do. Honest! They are great for clearing clutter and getting rid of it and while you are doing that, you can think all kinds of thoughts.

Fostha

WalesWoman said:
Cleaning house is a very Knight Swords thing to do. Honest! They are great for clearing clutter and getting rid of it and while you are doing that, you can think all kinds of thoughts.
This is an excellent way of decluttering not only the house,but the mind at the same time too,i've done it this way,and it's helped me to see that a house is just that,bricks and mortar that is used to hord worthless pieces of material c**p. Most unexpected,yet dashing,and life~altering clearout i've ever had,you certainly see and think differently afterwards.