Knight of Swords as my significator?

cherryblossom

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and apprecating the chance to share my queries with you all! I asked the cards to show me who I was and what my destiny would be and I got the Knight of Swords!
Now most books I have read on the tarot posit this card to depict a rather argumentative, bossy, rash person - not how I come across to people at all!
However, I was struck by the idea that this card is associated with analytical and thoughtful pursuits - and this could represent me pursuing my career in academia?? (I'm doing a doctorate in literature and am quite analytical in my work on poetry!!) I am very passionate and defensive of my work too I may add!
In fact, while I'm on the subject i could ask what card would represent an academic/professor? (Hierophant?)
I guess I'm just trying to see if we could see the Knight of Swords as representing innovation/research/ideas?

Cherry

Moonbow

Welcome cherryblossom,

You know, reading your post I would say you were exactly a Knight of Swords.

A 'generalisation' of the card itself (out of context of a reading), would depict someone who may be rash, inpulsive, keen, enthusiastic, a go getter, someone who gets the job done, keen to please or do thing right etc.

One part of your post really struck me.. "I am very passionate and defensive of my work too I may add!" yes, that too.

I don't think that because he has qualities of impulsiveness that he/she could not be seen as meticulous and analytical. To me all of the Knights are meticulous, they're in service to the Queen (at least in my Marseilles deck), and so have a duty, a quality of trust and morals, and a need to do things right. This one is smart.

Thirteen

I'm in agreement with Moonbow. Sounds just right. Remember, the focus of swords is words and communication. You've tripled-up on that.
1) Studying words
2) Analyzing words
3) Using words to argue about words

Sounds very Knight/Swords to me!

Not only that, but Knights are often the element of AIR--which, again, is words, intellect, messages. All those papers you have to write....And they're all defending their kingdom in some way or other. You defend with your mind and your words--written or spoken.

cherryblossom said:
In fact, while I'm on the subject i could ask what card would represent an academic/professor? (Hierophant?)
The Hierophant *could* be a professor, but he's likely to be that professor or dean who is all about the "old cannon" and the old rules of teaching--he might be a beloved and respected professor, but he's not one that likes to bend the rules or entertain new ideas. He can be stubborn and hidebound.

The Hermit is the professor who is focused on his own work and investigation, lost in the rare books section of the library or locked away in his office; now and then he'll pass on his knowledge to a grad student or two if he thinks them worthy, but he probably doesn't teach big classes any longer.

The Magician, on the other hand, would be that professor who's enormously popular as a teacher and loves the teaching angle of academia...he writes plenty of papers, but there's often more style than substance to them. His (or her) preference is to be at the front of a huge lecture hall, admired and applauded.

The High Priestess would be that mysterious, tough professor who is always asking the hard questions of her seminar students. She rarely gives you any answers--though she obviously knows all the answers; a librarian at heart, she knows exactly where every book is, and what information it contains, incuding some of the rarest and most obscure. If you can get information from her, it's pure gold...but you really have to impress her before she'll part with that info.

My recommendation: Don't toss out the Knight/Swords just yet, he suits you well and you need him to inspire you to keep fighting your way into Academia against all odds. Remember, just because you're him now doesn't mean you'll always be him. Sometime in the future you may turn up a new card to signify you, especially after you've won your place in the academic ranks. Someday, you might find that you're no longer the knight/swords, but the Queen/Swords, a sharp-minded academic, a teacher who keeps her students always on their toes, honing their minds, a professor clever with arguments, and able to hold her own in any discussion; a brilliant writer of academic papers, often called upon to give talks at conferences.

Best of luck!

cherryblossom

Thankyou both for your insight! I am glad that you confirmed what I was thinking - it's just so many times I've felt the Knight of S was perhaps misrepresented, and his positive qualities sidelined.. I do identify with him, and had thought the realm of Air fits me quite well (though I also feel identify with the Queen of Cups, who is very different!) My personal challenge is to be brave and assertive when it comes to putting my research out there, so this card makes even more sense.
Also it strikes me as interesting that my subject of study is the poetry of a 15th C duke who fought in the Hundred Years War against England.. and conflict is as a result,a theme of his work - hence the Knight of Swords!
And Thirteen, special thanks for your answer to my academic significators.. I think I recognise them all!

CB

Bridget

cherryblossom said:
Thankyou both for your insight! I am glad that you confirmed what I was thinking - it's just so many times I've felt the Knight of S was perhaps misrepresented, and his positive qualities sidelined.

I'm guilty of this - I tend to see him as harsh and argumentative, probably because in the RWS deck he looks so angry! I have to remind myself of his better qualities. He's one who'd fight for justice, whether legal or social. Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi could both be considered knights of swords.

Kns is driven by ideas, and ready to fight for them, which is important. But he doesn't just rush in. He figures out the main goal of his campaign and devleops a strategy to achieve it. And like the wind, he can change quickly to adjust to new circumstances. He's a formidable foe, probably the most deadly of the knights.

And his brilliance, conviction, flexibility, and strategic skill will serve you well in your quest for tenure. :)