lack of flowers?

hyatt

While I was away on vacation I knew I was going to miss Aeclectic VERY much so I decided start the Workbook "Tarot for Yourself". One of the first exercises it tells you to do is take any deck and look for all the roses. So I grabbed up my secret deck and well, I just can't find any roses!
I never noticed the lack or roses or even flowers until now. It doesn't bother me since secret is a little dark and unusual. Any thoughts on the lack of flowers?

Centaur

Interesting observation Hyatt. I never noticed this until you pointed it out. I wonder what significance if any it might have. I think that this deck is fairly dark and mysterious. I think that the lack of flowers give the deck an edge... I guess one could even argue that flowers are kind of like 'fluffy' additions to a deck, therefore the lack of flowers only serves to emphasise the dark aspect of the deck.

Ooooo... it will be interesting to hear what other people think of this.

I was also thinking that most (all?) of the people in this deck are pale... almost bloodless. I guess that the lack of flowers may emphasise this also.

DarkElectric

The only flowers I've been able to find in this deck (at all) are lotuses. These are depicted in the Ace of Cups, and also in the 4 of Wands.

Anyone have more information on the meaning of the Lotus?

Centaur

I think that the lotus is a symbol of purity... connected very much to the emotions. A deck which is dipped in lotus-symbology is the Thoth. I will have a look in my Thoth books and see if I can find any more information.

poivre

Maybe this means the creator was not compassionate but sexual.

Flowers to me would mean the person would be compassionate and grounded or earthy personality. As there are not many flowers as mentioned I don't think they were thinking about love as in compassion, but just sexual ideas for entertainment.I have this deck but don't read with it and this is just an idea.

Centaur

ros said:
Maybe this means the creator was not compassionate but sexual.

Interesting thought Ros. The deck does seem to have sexual undertones to it. And there is also little compassion portrayed in it... all of the figures depicted look rather stern... except there are a few happy cards... such as the 4 of Wands, or the 10 of Cups.

hyatt

the lotus is very popular in the thoth and I guess since these are both dark decks that is fitting. here is a little info on the symbolism of the lotus in the hindu culture..

"The lotus is the foremost symbol of beauty, prosperity and fertility...
One of the most common metaphysical analogies compares the lotus' perennial rise to faultless beauty from a miry environment to the evolution of man's consciousness--from instinctive impulses to spiritual liberation. ..the beautiful flower standing high above the mud and water. In the postures of hatha yoga, the lotus position, padmasana, is adopted by those striving to reach the highest level of consciousness, which itself is found in the thousand-petalled lotus chakra at the top of the head. "

I like the idea of the lotus sitting above the muck and mud feeding on only the water and not dirt. I never really thought about how they are rooted in only water and not the ground. Seems pretty obvious now that I write that.

Livia

I think that this might be Egyptian Lotus. But since I don't really know Egyptian symboligy I will go with East Asian...In one version of how Siddhartha became the Buddha (a more mythical telling) When he was born he came out and started to walk, in his footsteps grew lotus flowers. I also think in another version when he attained enlightenment the same happened.
I think it is interesting that the flowers are still closed. Maybe expenctancy, fertility (esp. with Ace of cups), something about to happen, a stillness too