Landscape instead of Portrait

fool

Does anyone know of cards done in landscape rather than portrait. I am wondering if a deck in this style would be a good idea. Im wondering as I want to start designing some cards & think landscape would suit a few ideas I have but traditionally cards arent used sideways (so to speak). I feel maybe you can zoom out from the scene slightly & while getting detail of the main subject, can have a bit of room to create a story around & set the scene.

Wondering if people would like using cards sideways or would be put off with the idea?

Also what about mixing, ie some portrait, some landscape (I feel this one may not be a good idea.)

Cerulean

There was a rather cute, small deck that mixed portrait and landscape

in a few cards and it was a little distracting...but it was an original art deck by Gray Goose or Greg Hoose. I found because it was a small, pretty and unusual deck, people could use the few lengthwise/landscape cards.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/longmoment-lb.htm

Under Sumi, you can see his digital versions of 'handpainting' that evolved into the Fae and LongMoment tarots...but the decks are no longer in print and the cards in these screenshots aren't named.

http://www.greygoosearts.com/gga.html

So it depends on you theme, I think.

Cerulean

baba-prague

The Circus and Sideshow Tarot by Chris Paradis is a landscape deck. It works well for that subject too.

gregory

Circus and Sideshow works - but I wouldn't like to try reading with it. (I may be just over sensitive to tradition here...)

A mixed deck I think would be a nightmare for reading.... I don't think I have one - I always wanted Hoose's decks but failed to get them :(

kayne

Personally I think if I loved the art in a landscape oriented deck I would defiantely use it, just lay them out slightly different. I think the style of the deck might be best if it were quite modern looking (as opposed to old or traditional) since perhaps people who would be prepared to use a deck like this would probably be the less traditional types... (does that make sence?)

I don't think I would like using a deck that was landscape and portrait unless the design on the card was such that it looked good both ways up. Incorporating reversed and left up and right up and woh... now that could be an intreguing new level of meaning in the cards. :)

Adam McLean

The Monsters Tarot, a Japanese tarot published in Japan by Shueisha in 2002, is a landscape format tarot.

It is in Kaplan's Volume IV on page 649 where it is called the Shigeru Mizuki Tarot.

This tarot is also known as the Yokai tarot 'The tarot of the monsters or spirits'.

ciliegia

Adam McLean said:
The Monsters Tarot, a Japanese tarot published in Japan by Shueisha in 2002, is a landscape format tarot.

It is in Kaplan's Volume IV on page 649 where it is called the Shigeru Mizuki Tarot.

This tarot is also known as the Yokai tarot 'The tarot of the monsters or spirits'.

I haven't known the deck..
I just searched on Google.and I just found.in Japanese the infomation says

But.to say the least the whole spirit of the tarot of the monster is the splendid the storyline.They are not drawned difficult pompier emblems and symbols like the european tarots so even you were native-born Japanese and the persons don't have flash of inspiration at all.beyond that even the beginner of divinations,that's difenity OK.

Er...h'm,there are many many japanese decks I have never heard..

Master_Margarita

The Psycards deck has one card ("The Puzzle") that is oriented landscape, and the rest of the deck is portrait.

I made an oracle deck with a few landscape cards and the rest portrait, but it's just a one-off deal.

:heart: M_M~