Learning the Lenormand

Charmy

Hi everyone,

I was recently gifted with the Mystical Lenormand deck. I've played with it a few times and I find it baffling, confusing - yet I'm also getting slightly obsessed with it! It's so different from the Tarot and kind of refreshing in that way :)

Anyway I'm still at the point where I have to consult the little white book during every reading but my intuition is starting to peek through with insights every now and then. There are some cards that still stump me though.

Example: Today I asked the deck "Will I be successful in getting a reference from X?"

I drew: Dog - Letter - Scythe

This suggests to me that a loyal source will pull through for me with regards to this matter and I'll hear back soon (Dog + Letter). I asked a favourite lecturer if they would be willing to give me one and I'm fairly confident that they'll reply at least.

However the Scythe is completely throwing me. I honestly have no idea. Could it mean that a new beginning will come about as a result of getting this reference? It would give me the ability to pursue a new job if it did come through.

I'm still trying to learn, so if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. Feel free to enlighten me to the mysterious Scythe card! :)

DownUnderNZer

Hi everyone,

I was recently gifted with the Mystical Lenormand deck. I've played with it a few times and I find it baffling, confusing - yet I'm also getting slightly obsessed with it! It's so different from the Tarot and kind of refreshing in that way :)

Anyway I'm still at the point where I have to consult the little white book during every reading but my intuition is starting to peek through with insights every now and then. There are some cards that still stump me though.

Example: Today I asked the deck "Will I be successful in getting a reference from X?"

I drew: Dog - Letter - Scythe

This suggests to me that a loyal source will pull through for me with regards to this matter and I'll hear back soon (Dog + Letter). I asked a favourite lecturer if they would be willing to give me one and I'm fairly confident that they'll reply at least.

However the Scythe is completely throwing me. I honestly have no idea. Could it mean that a new beginning will come about as a result of getting this reference? It would give me the ability to pursue a new job if it did come through.

I'm still trying to learn, so if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. Feel free to enlighten me to the mysterious Scythe card! :)

Dog - Letter - Scythe

In this situation SCYTHE means an irreversable decision. So, someone you have met or know (not a stranger) will be making a decision about this reference that you need and as it follows the LETTER...it will be a firm decision. It has already been decided! But there is no indication as to whether it will be positive or negative....or even given. Might be or might not be...I would say YES as it comes after the LETTER. Cross fingers. :) :) :)

SCYTHE sometimes is a good card to have a follow up card come after it depending on the question. However, I feel in your situation a decision has already been made and I am hoping it will be a postive outcome. SCYTHE can have a NEGATIVE and POSITIVE speel on any situation which is why at times I would do one more card after it just to see what direction it is pulled in...

Hope that helps in some small way.... :heart:

Charmy

Dog - Letter - Scythe

In this situation SCYTHE means an irreversable decision. So, someone you have met or know (not a stranger) will be making a decision about this reference that you need and as it follows the LETTER...it will be a firm decision. It has already been decided! But there is no indication as to whether it will be positive or negative....or even given. Might be or might not be...I would say YES as it comes after the LETTER. Cross fingers. :) :) :)

SCYTHE sometimes is a good card to have a follow up card come after it depending on the question. However, I feel in your situation a decision has already been made and I am hoping it will be a postive outcome. SCYTHE can have a NEGATIVE and POSITIVE speel on any situation which is why at times I would do one more card after it just to see if it will be POSITIVE or NEGATIVE.

Hope that helps in some small way.... :heart:

DownUnder,

Thanks so much! This is very helpful, you've broadened my perspective towards the Scythe card with your input :)

Fingers crossed that its a positive outcome! I'll update when/if I get a reply ;)

andybc

The Scythe has a few meanings: danger, cutting/severance, unequivocal decision, autumn/fall and pruning. It also represents surgery.

It often comes out of nowhere. You also need to look at the cards either side: the card the tip of the Scythe points to is where the ‘danger’ or ‘cutting’ will occur. The curved side can show stagnation.

The Dog + Letter show a friendly note, and the Letter + Scythe could indicate a severance letter. Taken together this could be a letter of recommendation after parting. I might have added a card after the Scythe, as it could be the person might want to but can’t if it’s needed quickly. The might write back to that effect.

There are a few Lenormand resources with explanations of the images and meanings on line: Serena Powers, Art of Cartomancy, there’s a thread here. I have written about them (Belgium-Holland) on my blog.

DownUnderNZer

DownUnder,

Thanks so much! This is very helpful, you've broadened my perspective towards the Scythe card with your input :)

Fingers crossed that its a positive outcome! I'll update when/if I get a reply ;)

PS Is it too late to pull an extra card?

I do wish you the BEST of LUCK. That card is not one of my fave at times and I am more likely to pull another card after it just to make sure....

Charmy

The card that I pulled after the Scythe was the Clover-Leaf. I associate this will luck and happiness, although I'm a little apprehensive about it because it comes after the Scythe. Does this mean that the impact of the Scythe won't be as bad?

The tip of the Scythe is pointing to the Clover-leaf. Maybe if I don't get the answer I hoped for, my hope for the situation will be severed?

DownUnderNZer

The card that I pulled after the Scythe was the Clover-Leaf. I associate this will luck and happiness, although I'm a little apprehensive about it because it comes after the Scythe. Does this mean that the impact of the Scythe won't be as bad?

The tip of the Scythe is pointing to the Clover-leaf. Maybe if I don't get the answer I hoped for, my hope for the situation will be severed?

I think it is going to be in your favor to be quite honest. :) :) :)

Scythe is a decision in your reading.

If you were looking at a relationship...could mean a break up...as I said before it depends on the question. So, the SCYTHE isnt always BAD in a reading, but if you're not sure PULL another card to see if it is POSTIVE or NEGATIVE.

SCYTHE is like HARVESTING crops...some crops are good...some crops are bad. And that is why a card after it is needed to see which way it leans. ;)

Do keep us posted! And again...best of luck!!!! :)

andybc

The Scythe is very short so with the Cloverleaf it would indicate a short lived unpleasantness. However the Lenormand works threefold: individual meaning, combination (which includes near and far), and context. Scythe + Cloverleaf could indicate a good outcome, or the silver lining behind a cloud and so on.

For me those cards look like a short, honest but warm reference. It might not be glowing but it wouldn't be bad.

Charmy

Thanks very much for your input guys :) all very helpful, insightful and appreciated!

I will keep you posted and update as soon as I have an outcome :)

Charmy

Hey guys,

An update, as promised. I ended up getting TWO references! Both were great. One was from a lecturer I knew would probably give me one, the other was a warm one from someone I didn't expect to get one from :)