Learning the Tarot Academically??

jantigercat

Hello all!

What do you think about learning the tarot "academically" that is, through structured weekly tasks? I am a capricorn by birth so I love order and structure and it is quite effective with me because I am used to picking up ideas when I do it by weekly tasks (I am using Teresa Michelsen's The Complete Tarot Reader book -- great book by the way).

The only thing is that there seems to be a "related" negativity to this learning method because it reminds me so much of my college years (I was in the nursing school so things for me were hectic). I had a hard time disassociating the idea of academic method from negative connotations. I guess the problem is with me and my perception?

Any thoughts and suggestions which will be helpful is greatly appreciated!

Jan

Yvresse

Hi there!

Welcome to the forums!

For me, I think incorporating some academic structure to the study of Tarot is one of the most beautiful things about the subject. There's no set way to learn the Tarot, so go for whatever feels good to you. Tarot can let you go freespinning through your subconscious, but it can also bridge you with hundreds of years of history, and thus the gentle traces of finger dust of individuals throughout the ages.

When you read your cards, why do you get the feelings you get? Why do you think of this when you see that symbol or image? A large chunk of it comes from your own experiences and subconscious, I believe, and your guides and higher self too, if you are in touch with them, but from an academic standpoint, the mechanics between the reader, the cards and the reading is a fascinating subject in itself.

Two ideas that are more academic (by my standards) have given Tarot so much depth to me: firstly, the idea that reading is not a "passive" activity, and secondly, the idea of intertextuality. The first idea describes reading books and watching films very well, but works just as well for Tarot: the writer/director/creator likely has certain ideas/feelings they'd like to get through to the audience, but the audience (or reader) brings to the work their own ideas, tastes and experiences: the end result is like a negotiation of all that. When you think of Tarot and its history, and of course, the artist of your deck, you are presented with so many different perspectives besides your own. It's like taking a walk through the woods to sort out your thoughts, only to find that the different trees also have voices and different ideas; do you know how to listen to them? For me, I have found that reading about the different theories behind the origins of Tarot and how people thought differently about symbols, etc. back then has given me a rich perspective of the cards. And as for intertextuality, it's amazing how when I look at any one card in any deck, I am not just reading the images there, but I am bringing to mind all the stories and emotions I've heard/felt of the images in the card, but also of how other decks have presented that card. Because most decks follow the main template of Tarot more or les, Tarot is a great opportunity to see how intertextuality works through yourself.

I may not have remembered those theories accurately, and I'm not that much of an academic myself, for better or worse, but the point is, if I hadn't even tried to think back to what my profs have said in class and tried looking at Tarot academically, I would be learning the art very differently—also for better or worse.

So in short, just try whatever feels right to you. I don't think there's anything negative about looking at Tarot academically. For me, one foot dreaming through my subconscious and the other treading quietly through academia has made me realise that Tarot isn't really just a path I am walking on, but it's more like an ocean that I've accidentally slipped into, with thoughts and whispers and glances and giggles abound in the water I am swimming, breathing in.

Yvresse.

jantigercat

Hello Yvresse,

Thanks for sharing about this topic. :)

I guess the academic method adds structure to the learning as it checks one's pace in the progress on tarot reading (which is quite hopeful). I keep repeating this idea (somehow it became like a sort of mantra to me), to dispel the negative association with academic learning. And I love reading about the history of tarot and how it evolved into what is it today. It adds depth and fun to the learning process...much more like learning the history of some musical piece ( I am an avid classical music lover too...so history weighs a lot when listening to a piece).

Jan

214red

academically learning the cards is good, but bear in mind that you can only learn the meanings that way, not really how to read the cards...for that you need less structure, you need things to be more flexible to allow your imagination to poke through to truely be able to read what the card means in each instance

Le Fanu

As a fellow Capricorn, I know exactly what you're talking about. I too find that I cannot really use a deck unless Ive really done my homework. If a deck has a companion book then I am "doomed" to have to read the companion book. But I like learning this way. Im very meticulous if I realise it is a deck I really want to get to know better.

I feel that, for me, the academic learning, whether of tarot history (which mostly I already know) or the system, or the very particular meanings for the deck, gets me more relaxed and open and confident to use a deck. I see nothing problematic about that.

I could never just pick up a "new" system", toss the book aside and just read with the deck. Maybe I could do this, but just for my own enjoyment, I prefer to wallow in the context of the deck and think about the creator's intentions and perspectives. I definitely think that the ideal is half and half.

I'm currently discovering the William Blake Tarot. One of those decks which has been on my shelf for a while and finally now is the time to pluck it off (instead of buying something new) and get into it. I'm having one of those "just discovered a priceless treasure on my bookshelf" moments! Im really enjoying reading the accompanying book. Ive also ordered some William Blake books from amazon and I have such an urge to absorb myself in the Blake Universe. Is this academic? I guess it is but it's wonderful. Little by little, my own responses and relationship with the cards start leaking into readings, but I like to know I have that academic framework.

What I love about tarot is that after the years of academic study (which I had) I can "do" studying on my own terms now, going where the path takes me, at my own pace, going as deeply as I want, deciding for myself what I think is important. It is pure bliss. As if all avenues are - at last - open.

Than, at the end of it all, the magic spark of "me" is added; my interpretation, my readings, my connotations!