Leonardo's Swans by Karen Essex

Scion

Well, gang...

They said it could happen; we insisted it should: Someone has finally done a pulpy historical novel about a subject near and dear to our hearts: 15th century Italy and the Este sisters (featuring the Sforzas, natch). It's called Leonardo's Swans by Karen Essex. The novel sounds a little crass, but that may just be the marketing copy tacked onto it... I quote the cheesy blurb from Amazon"

"Leonardo's Swans is the story of rival sisters born into enormous privilege and of the ferment of Italy at the close of the fifteenth century. Isabella, a stunning black-eyed blonde, worldly and ambitious beyond her years, has never had reason to envy her less attractive and accomplished sister, Beatrice. Until, by a quirk of fate, the future Duke of Milan is betrothed not to Isabella but to naive and childish Beatrice. Although he is more than twice her age, has a mistress and an illegitimate son hidden away, and is reputedly trying to ascend to the current duke's throne by killing him off, Ludovico Sforza would allow Isabella to fulfill her destiny: to reign over one of the most powerful realms in the world and sit for the genius Leonardo.

Though principally the story of the Este sisters, Leonardo's Swans is also an exceptionally vivid recreation of the life of da Vinci, including the thrilling moments when Leonardo conceived The Last Supper and the Mona Lisa. It portrays a genius ahead of his time whose great sadness is that he can rarely escape the demands of his noble patrons long enough to express his own artistic vision.

A haunting novel of rivalry, love, and betrayal that transports readers back to Renaissance Italy, Leonardo's Swans will have you dashing to the works of Da Vinci-- not for clues to a mystery but to contemplate the secrets of the human heart."

It's on my list... :)

Scion

Lillie

Oh yes!

I love trashy historical novels.

I can learn more history from a book like that than a dozen proper history books.
In fact, I read a trash novel and it brings the period to life for me. Then I go looking in the history books to find out more. Which always seems more 'alive', because the novel has brought it all to life.

So, great stuff.

Will it have bodice ripping, and dark, handsome, heros?
It better had!