Liber T: 6 of Wands – Hayagriva not Set

Quantum James

I have been researching the figure on the 6 of wands. I have never been fully convinced by Scion’s suggestion that this is Set triumphant in his form as the red ass of the desert. Partly because on the 8 of swords Set-as-ass is depicted rather distinctly and I think creators had such a precise vision of this deck they would be consistent in that depiction. Also, this looks like a horse figure, rather than an ass - which is supported by the PICATRIX and specifically the VEDIC decanate description in Scion’s guide: “The second Drekkana of Leo represents a man resembling a horses body, long and powerful…with leonine fierceness with a bow in his hand”.

Establishing a Vedic context we can find more clues locating this figure in that cultural milieu. The Lion skin draped over the shoulder, as Indian and Tibetan deities frequently are portrayed for instance. Some research reveals a Hindu deity that later becomes syncretised as the Tibetan horse-headed deity also called Hayagriva, fitting the profile.

In the Hayagriva myth the world is plagued by demons and Vishnu is called upon to do battle with them - “tired and drained after the battle, Vishnu proceeded rejuvenate and meditate in padamaasna (a yoga posture) with his head supported by the upper end of his taut bow.” Whilst he is deep in meditation the world becomes once again plagued by demons, but the Devas cannot rouse Vishnu from his trance and so sever his bow cord trying rouse him, “the snapping of the bow string produced such a resonant sound that the universe trembled, and the broken string lashed out with such force that Vishnu's head was severed from his body.”

The Devas, mortified, prayed to the goddess Durga for guidance. She tells them “to attach the head of a horse to Vishnu so that he in the guise of "Hayagriva" (that is, one with a horse's neck) could kill his foe”.

Hayagriva is victorious over the demons – and as such he becomes supplicated for success in adversity. We find the bow from the myth on the card as well as the function of Hayagriva as victor supported by the cards meaning, “will for victory”.

Tibetan horse-dealers worshipped Hayagriva in order to frighten away demons by neighing like a horse. His arrival upon invocation would be announced by neighing which would “pierce false appearances and disguise”. The figure on the card similarly seems to be neighing. Whilst in the Indian context Hayagriva is depicted white – the Tibetan Hayagriva is red.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayagriva

Scion

I love this QJ!!

A fascinating idea and much more in keeping with the spirit of the card. The only thing that still bugs me is the insistently Egyptian headgear... I need to think on it, but now I've got something to go investigate when I have some time. :thumbsup: Many thanks for this!

S

Scion

I'm sold 100% on this superb idea, QJ. I finally went and dug out my Vedas and Zaehner and it's all there. Most significantly the bow he's holding contains the string that removed Vishnu's head in the Sakta myth.

A lot of richness there... many thanks for pointing this out. I'm adding it to the PDF. :)

BleuReynard

-delete reply, wrong thread -